Hammerhead 4x4 2" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hammerhead 4x4 2" lift

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 08-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
neutrolizr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hammerhead 4x4 2" lift

Anyone every use the Hammerhead 4x4 2" lift for their cherokee?

I just ordered it on Ebay, its poly spacers for the front coils and an add a leaf for the rear.

Also, i read alot about minor vibes in lifts. Does a 2" lift get those vibes all the time or is it hit and miss? If I do get those vibes, what should I do? Use spacers on the transfer case? What size.....i keep reading 1.5", 1" 3".....any comments would be helpful.

I have a 2000 cherokee classic.
85k miles
putting in airaid throttle body spacer and cold air intake (unsheilded) this weekend, next week i'll have my dynomax cat back and my 2" lift to put in the following weekend.

Thanks in advance.

PS, Sorry, I would have searched this, but search feature wont be working for a while according to jeepforum.com...

neutrolizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

the lift sounds like an average BB type lift, it will work for awhile

for the vibes, if you get them it will be something that will happening most of the time when you drive. a 1" TC drop will work but its considered to be more of a temporary fix. Look into a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) for a perminate vibe fix. refer to the link below.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/official-sye-slip-yoke-eliminator-thread-all-read-426483/

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Arawn
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Can a SYE be used with out being lifted? I want to do the SYE and the 2LO kit before I do some of the other mods I have planned. Kind of going in stages and lift/tires is toward the end of the list. But I want the 2LO before I do the gears and lockers.
Arawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sure. The only potential issue is the new shaft being too short once you add more lift.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

yes you can, look at heavys stock project rig.

-Kyle
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
neutrolizr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Kyle.

I appreciate the answer. I though doing a 2" lift for looks more than anything would be fairly inexpensive. But if i have to do a sye then I dont know if its worth it to me right now. Otherwise id just go out and get a real lift kit and do it.

Does the tc drop cause damage? I dont want to end up putting even more dough into it without doing the sye....

Thanks again.
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Cody_00_XJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrolizr
Thanks Kyle.

I appreciate the answer. I though doing a 2" lift for looks more than anything would be fairly inexpensive. But if i have to do a sye then I dont know if its worth it to me right now. Otherwise id just go out and get a real lift kit and do it.

Does the tc drop cause damage? I dont want to end up putting even more dough into it without doing the sye....

Thanks again.
you shouldnt have to do an sye at 2". a t-case drop will be fine IF you even get vibes. i dont see how it would really be worth putting an sye unless you have 3+ inches where the angle starts to get much more extreme, because 2" is not very high

edit: a t-case drop will not cause damage. the most damage that could really happen is if you damage the two studs when removing them from the "frame" rail
Cody_00_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

do the lift then determine if you have vibes. then you can do what i did and put a TC drop on and when you get enough money you can do the SYE. but eventually i would recommend going ahead and putting the SYE on. Trust me once you start with the mods it wont stop

-Kyle
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
neutrolizr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
do the lift then determine if you have vibes. then you can do what i did and put a TC drop on and when you get enough money you can do the SYE. but eventually i would recommend going ahead and putting the SYE on. Trust me once you start with the mods it wont stop

-Kyle
Cool. And as far at the mods go..I know, I know. Im bad like that anyway. Im already getting the Evil Irish Eye from my wife!! But at least she knows I always look for a bargain, not just go balls to walls doing it.

2" lift - $80
Dynomax Catback - $150
Airaid Throttle body spacer - $50
Cold Air intake - 50

Me coming down the road with that low rumble, higher body and a big *** grin on my face...................PRICELESS....
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
neutrolizr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, does anyone know if i'll be able to really fit 31"'s on with a 2" lift?

I can get four 31" yoko geolanders with less than 5k on them for $300 with laredo 15" rims....can i use those rims if I currently ha ve 16 on my 2000 classic? anyone know?

gracias

Mark
Unread 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_00_XJ
you shouldnt have to do an sye at 2". a t-case drop will be fine IF you even get vibes. i dont see how it would really be worth putting an sye unless you have 3+ inches where the angle starts to get much more extreme, because 2" is not very high

edit: a t-case drop will not cause damage. the most damage that could really happen is if you damage the two studs when removing them from the "frame" rail
Actually, you can tear motor mounts much faster with a drop. It also puts more strain on the whole driveline because it is running at an angle it wasnt designed to use.

When I had a 2" lift, i got a bunch of vibes on my 00 and ended up upgrading the lift when I did the SYE. I would suggest that with any lift you replace the rear shaft and add an SYE.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrolizr
By the way, does anyone know if i'll be able to really fit 31"'s on with a 2" lift?

I can get four 31" yoko geolanders with less than 5k on them for $300 with laredo 15" rims....can i use those rims if I currently ha ve 16 on my 2000 classic? anyone know?

gracias

Mark
yes you can you will probably have to trim though if you want to flex at all.

-Kyle
Unread 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
neutrolizr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to make things more confusing.

But i was thinking.

If raise it 2", but drop the tc 1"...that doesnt amount to the difference in the lift.

Wouldn't a better answer be, since the rear is stable, and only the body lifted. Wouldnt you want to increase the height by 1.5 inches or so at the leafs and .5 at the tc? that would bring the angle of the driveshaft back to its original angle....and raising the leafs to come up to the lift height or closer anyway.

Theoretically, then there should be no vibe at all, vs, dropping just the tc case 2" full inches or less itself...

its all about the angle i would assume, and how the angle increase during a lift due to the leafs staying stationary.

my head hurts.

Can i shim the leafs?
Or even do 1" and 1" in case there is a problem with hte drive shaft rubbing.

just curious.
Unread 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

shimming the leaf wont really do much because the transfer case angle will still be there, you need a SYE for the shims to properly work.

and yes it does suck that you raising your jeep 2" and dropping you TC 1" but this is why i would recommend a SYE.

-Kyle
Unread 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Shims will keep the driveshaft "ears" from making contact with the slip yoke "ears". The sections that the Ujoints mount to that overhang the ends of each.

The vibes you feel are enough to overcome the dampening ability of the trans mount. Without the proper geometery, you will have vibes and they will eventually take thier toll on the transfer case.

With a 2" lift, the TC drop can be used and will usually have favorable results, but again, without the geometery of the driveshafts being corect, there will be vibrations.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.