H.O vrs non H.O 4.0L engines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > H.O vrs non H.O 4.0L engines

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
87stangman

H.O vrs non H.O 4.0L engines

Ok guys I know this question has been knocked around before. I have decided to just find a good replacement engine for this 90' XJ 4x4 I have. It is just a play truck but I need it reliable. I have looked and called around to find a motor and it seems that non-ho motors are rare to find with good miles. There is a shop near me that sells used engines and they have a 95' 4.0L engine. These engines do not come with the intake, acc, exhuast manifold, etc. How much different is the H.O head? If I were to buy this motor will my 90's non H.O intake fit right up???

If the intake wont fit wil,l the non-ho head from my current 90' engine fit the H.O engine block?

I am not really looking for performance here, just reliability,

87stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure the Renix head will bolt up to the 95 block and then all of the stock Renix stuff will bolt up.

The only thing I would be concerned with would be the knock sensor. Not sure is the 91+ blocks had the bung to mount the sensor to.

Have you considered having your engine rebuilt? Granted the price will be more, but this way you'd have a new engine and not a second one with miles on it.

Depending on your budget, www.quadratec.com sells new long blocks for around $1600 with free shipping.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
I'm pretty sure the Renix head will bolt up to the 95 block
You are correct. But why keep it Renix when you can now easily convert it to the HO system?

My Stroker uses a '89 block with a '95 head. The Renix blocks are stronger than the HO blocks.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.