Gutter mount roof rack or rail mount?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Gutter mount roof rack or rail mount??

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
mhall101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Gutter mount roof rack or rail mount??

im planing on fabing my own roof rack but i was going to buy the mounts. Im going to be using the baskit for my spare tire 31 10.5 and hi lift jack as well as 4 lights on the front. what would work better... the mounts for the gutter or the mounts for the factory roof rack??

Any brands that i should stick with?

Unread 07-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From what ive heard gutter mounts are stronger because they are directly mounted on the body compared to the crossbars which are just bolted on. Whenever i get around to ordering a tired carrier im gonna get the gutter mounts.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Gutter mounts. The bars are weak.
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
mhall101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how weak??? will they rip off??
Unread 07-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
blacklabel000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the factory mounts are very weak, theyre just hard plastic with some metal over them. and i dont think the gutter mounts look that good. so heres what i did, and they are strong with 6 bolts on each side....hope it helps

-nick

96' XJ: 6.5 RC lift, 35 MTRs,4.88s, 30/8.8 locked, tons of homebrew, blah blah blah...
A-TOWN 4X4
blacklabel000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
INSIGNIA-XJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel000 View Post
the factory mounts are very weak, theyre just hard plastic with some metal over them. and i dont think the gutter mounts look that good. so heres what i did, and they are strong with 6 bolts on each side....hope it helps

-nick

Where are the bolt s holding it on? Only see holes..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.