Gutter mount roof rack question..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Gutter mount roof rack question.....

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

Gutter mount roof rack question.....

I got my hands on a free roof rack, which is good!
The roof rack is a zacatal, which is BAD!

But Im going to use it untill I decide to get a nice one. But I need a gutter mount for my XJ thats tough...Who makes em, anyone use em or know where I should be looking?

And, Yes, I did try to buy the steel gutter mounts from zacatal, but they are some non english speaking theives, as they told me they have one in stock, I paid them, then the stopped answering my calls and emails, after one month with no word, I had my bank get my money back, so I guess their service is the same as their conduit rack!

And does the fact I dont have the chrome molding on my gutters matter for proper installation?

Thanks guys!

ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

I use a Yakima with the 1A towers. I am 100%satisfied, and I am not easy to please. I carry a 75 lb canoe. 10 years and no problems.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
mjaybird65
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have the Yakima loadbars with gutter mounts as well. I typically carry 2 bikes and a cheap Coleman rack with camping gear on top... no issues so far.
Unread 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
regent

Surco also sells loadbar's and gutter mounts. I have one of there safari baskets, 3 years still soild.
Unread 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why does everyone say the Zacatal is bad, i absolutely love mine, i have the cross bars on it and they are welded in, and the roof rack is just as strong as anyone elses, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mine.

im curious to hear why u hate urs so much??
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

I dont exactly hate it, I just found it to be made rather cheap, and with no QC at all. Mine looks like children made it.
But,
Ive already taken it off my roof, re bedlined it, and picled up some yakima 1a towers and a cross bar, so Im going to take the rack, cut off the crazy crossmember mounts, then rig up a system that works.
If you like yours and it does what you need it to then cool!
I meant no offense, I just dont like them as a company after they tried to rip me off, and their work is sub par. But from what I got from my CC company, the reason they are cancelling orders is because the INS deported their three employees, two of which are the owners.
And although I have great respect for my brown mexican brothers, you gotta be LEGAL here in the good ole USA, if your not, Im not going to give you my business...

I will fab something up for mine, then go with a better product when I have the time and money too...

Thanks for the help guys, the YAK stuff is SOLID...
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.