Guts for Chrysler 8.25 Housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Guts for Chrysler 8.25 Housing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Steelcube
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Guts for Chrysler 8.25 Housing

I saw the chrysler 8.25 housing in the link below and am trying to figure out what would be necessary to get it up and running. I figure brakes, new gears, axle shafts, locker, what else? I'm having trouble finding a really simple answer/parts list. I want to check all this first to see if I'd save any money. I plan to DIY but then take it to a shop to check and install as opposed to paying a shop to do it all. Also interested in hearing your thoughts about buying online/this particular axle. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190709508499...3AIT#vi-ilComp

Steelcube is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Complete axles, drum to drum, are $89 at the local Pick-n-Pull, and even the full service junkyards are only $125-175.

The local junkyard or a part out on Craigslist will be cheaper than a bare housing and all the parts needed to fill it.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just the brake parts and drums will cost more than a complete unit from a Pick and pull. Thats only a fair dea if its free shipping like close and you pick it up and you have the rest of the parts in your garage.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Steelcube
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh wow, guess I'll start calling JY's this weekend, just hadn't seen anything at the ones I checked online or craigslist. I wasn't sure how cheap it was going to be, thanks!
Steelcube is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have 2 XJ 8.25 29 spline axles in my garage. I should post up my own ebay ad too.

Seriously though - get to know your local 4WD club or 4WD shop - somebody has upgraded FROM this axle to run full widths or 1T axles and will consider it to be worth not much more than scrap. You should be able to pick one up for 100-150 ready to bolt in - maybe even with a lunchbox locker or HD diff cover.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.