Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Grinding while turning w/ shaky steering

732 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GunnerT23 
#1 ·
so after I installed my upper control arms and adjusted them to 16.25" (what was recommended for my lift height). My jeep has now decided that it wants to grind something while turning at speeds over 15mph. I haven't been able to trouble shoot it due to not being able to be under the car while its happening.

notes: tires dont rub anywhere, they just got balanced, and I just had an alignment done. and its still there. there is also no play in any of the u-joints (not saying they arnt bad, just that there is no play)

any hints or suggestions???

#2 ·
alright, here is a update on this.
I narrowed down the shaky steering to a bad tie rod end on the drivers side, took care of that yesterday
also went thew and checked all the other joints to make sure they were still in proper order.
Im taking the heep to get it aligned tomorrow, even though I measured twice to make sure that the tie rod was the exact same length.....

but I still am having a grinding noise while turning right, and Im not sure what is causing it. all the u-joints are now a week old, and I have a brand new tom woods shaft in the back

could this be that the front diff is having problems???
has any one had this issue before?

#6 ·
well, ill have to put that next on my list

to start trouble shooting this, I started with the u-joints (all the fronts were shot), then steering (found one bad tie rod end on the driver side), and before I run out and buy those (and its gonna have a decent snow apparently) I was thinking about pulling the front shaft to see if it still made the noise, because it does it while coasting. just to kill all doubt

so whats the difference between the 80$ wheel bearing and the expensive one for non abs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.