Grinding Gears in Park/Neutral - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Grinding Gears in Park/Neutral

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
Keith
Admin

Grinding Gears in Park/Neutral

I have a friend with a 2wd 2001 I6 Sport.

Several weeks ago someone smashed the window and ripped out the CD player. I think they might have started the process to steal it but bailed.

Now when you go to turn it over you really have to put strong pressure on the key for it to turn.

The huge problem though is now when the transmission is in Park or Neutral it makes this horrible sound. Sounds like fast spinning gears that are lightly grinding on something.

Any general ideas? Could it be the linkage or does it sound more internal?

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
mickc9129

grinding noise

I would suspect the starter is trying to engage with the flywheel causing the noise. It won't do it in the other gears when driving because of the neutral safety switch.

I don't know if the following info will help in your case but I've read where in some instances where the ignition switch doesn't recognize the key as found on the newer electronic systems that by cleaning the key with rubbing alcohol it was nothing more than that. Sounds cheap and easy to me.
mickc9129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Keith
Admin

So if it was the first problem it could be either the flywheel or starter. Could it be linkage issues?

Glock Forum
Unread 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like they tried to pry the switch on, and they messed it up, so now it is not going completely back to the 'on' position from the 'start' position. If it is as hard as you say to turn, I would replace the ignition switch first.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
mickc9129

grinding

I think the problem is in the ignition switch. I'm sure the starter and flywheel are OK. When you first put your key in the ignition the first click you feel is the "Run" position and if you continue pushing if goes to the "Start" position which sends a signal to your starter solenoid to engage with the flywheel. I'm just wondering now, since you say the turning of the key is difficult, if once you started the car, does your key return automatically to the "Run" position.
If its sticking in the "Start" position it will keep engaging the starter into the flywheel. In that case, try manually returning the key to the "Run" position to see if that solves it. I might sound a little too basic to you on the above info but I don't know how involved in the mechanics you are. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Keith
Admin

Is the ignition switch in an XJ a fairly basic replace or pretty detailed?

Glock Forum
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

its basic. ive got a similar problem but it only happens once in a while. not often at all. dont know if this will work on your friends jeep, but when the quiet grinding noise happens on mine when it does, i just turn the key back a little. usually when it does it though, i lose the clock on the dash. but yeah next time it does it, try to turn the key back a little without killing it.
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
mickc9129

grinding

Go back to the "Cherokee and Comanche Forum" and about 6 or 7 postings below yours is one about "Broke my key off in ignition". It could help.
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Keith.. the switch is easy to change, seems that the switch itself is broken so it is staying in the middle of run and start, not letting the starter disengage.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Keith
Admin

And that would only happen in Park/Neutral because of the neutral safety switch?

No noises at all in any other gear and it can drive fine it seems.

Glock Forum
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

is there any noticable electrical components not working when its making the grinding noise? also, when starting up, does it feel like the key goes backwards into the noemal position or does it feel like it barely moves backwards?
Unread 04-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
its basic. ive got a similar problem but it only happens once in a while. not often at all. dont know if this will work on your friends jeep, but when the quiet grinding noise happens on mine when it does, i just turn the key back a little. usually when it does it though, i lose the clock on the dash. but yeah next time it does it, try to turn the key back a little without killing it.
Mine does the same ever since someone pulled the key out while in the 'off' position w/o pushing in the button to go to the 'lock' position while they were trying to steal it. I suppose they simply couldn't drive a manual since they found my spare key and all.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.