Grand Cherokee Front Axles Shafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Grand Cherokee Front Axles Shafts

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Nick1981
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Grand Cherokee Front Axles Shafts

I recently went to a self service junk yard looking for front axle shafts and there were only 3 XJ's with good axles. I stopped and looked at a few Grand Cherokee's and the axles look like they will work. Does anyone know if they will work and what years are the same?

Unread 09-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

dana 30 is a dana 30 no matter what yr,,as long as its not the disconnect pass split shaft,,,yes they are all interchangeable. withe exception of abs tone rings,,if yours has abs then you will want the ones with the tone rings
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Nick1981
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What about the tie rod and drag link? It looks like i could swap out the passenger side steering knuckle and use the steering parts off of the grand Cherokee on my xj. Would that work?
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkymike View Post
dana 30 is a dana 30 no matter what yr,,as long as its not the disconnect pass split shaft,,,yes they are all interchangeable. withe exception of abs tone rings,,if yours has abs then you will want the ones with the tone rings
Not completey, The WJs 99up are wider, making everything different. And earlier are low pinion with CV shafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1981 View Post
What about the tie rod and drag link? It looks like i could swap out the passenger side steering knuckle and use the steering parts off of the grand Cherokee on my xj. Would that work?
Im gussing your looking at a WJ axle? Short answer, no you cant just swap it on. The knuckels can be made to work but the linkage wont work due to the WJ being wider. Searh WJ knuckle swap.
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
Not completey, The WJs 99up are wider, making everything different. And earlier are low pinion with CV shafts

Im gussing your looking at a WJ axle? Short answer, no you cant just swap it on. The knuckels can be made to work but the linkage wont work due to the WJ being wider. Searh WJ knuckle swap.

thought we are talking xj and zj because they use a dana 30..,,somebody plz correct me if im wrong,,
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkymike View Post
thought we are talking xj and zj because they use a dana 30..,,somebody plz correct me if im wrong,,
And so do WJs...but like I said they are not the same as eariler dana 30s...
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Nick1981
1998 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=whitexj98;14203737]Not completey, The WJs 99up are wider, making everything different. And earlier are low pinion with CV shafts.

So the axles will work 98 and earlier? Are all of them CV's?
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

some were u-joint,,,and the tie rods and all the drag link and what not will work from a zj and are stronger
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

just for the record,,,what i said in the first place,,,,yes,,all the grand zj stuff is bolt on for your xj,,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.