Going from TJ to XJ...need some info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Going from TJ to XJ...need some info

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 02-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
abacus6

Going from TJ to XJ...need some info

Hi, been on the forum a while as a TJ owner. Just sold my TJ 'cause I really want an XJ. Saw one tonight and wanted some opinions.

01 Limited, dark green, dark grey leather, 72000 miles. I didn't drive it yet ( getting late ) but i did ask what they are asking. $12,700.

Now I know the game, and I was hoping to stay at about 10000 out the door...i can look up kbb and nada pricing, but what are the thoughts here.

Opinions? and i've referred to the very helpful sticky on stock components, but i'd like to know what, if anything, is different on the limited (besides the obvious foo-foo comforts...which i'm not ashamed to say i kinda dig )

initial glance showed the ground beneath was dry and the body and interior are clean and damage free...lots of miles in my opinion, but i would love to hear from the experts. I do plan on a 4.5 lift, 32's, sye, gear change to 4.11, bumpers and a rack ( read : ROOF rack, the wife can do her own shopping ).

it will be a dd as well ( 14 miles round trip )

pitfalls, cautions,?

thanks in advance!

'00 XJ Sport - ...i'm working on it!
abacus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
abacus6

ok, i just looked up the pricing on KBB and NADA, looks like the price is right on...so I guess its just a question of what, if any, mechanical changes are in the model and what i should be looking for tomorrow as far as engine/driveline issues that appear at 72000 miles.....

thanks sorry for the two-fer on my post, couldn't find the edit button

ok, duh, I found it

Unread 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus6
Opinions? and i've referred to the very helpful sticky on stock components, but i'd like to know what, if anything, is different on the limited (besides the obvious foo-foo comforts...which i'm not ashamed to say i kinda dig )
Only foo-foo comforts, and maybe 16" rims, but don't quote me on that.

And look to see if it has an 8.25 rear end, you'll thanks yourself later.
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And I see you are another Virginian, belong to any clubs in the area?
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
nylyon

If it has heated seats, check to see they both work. Nice comfort item!
Unread 02-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
jcnoll

You need to shop better. I got my '99 XJ Classic with 78,000 miles for $5400. It is in perfect condition. Search around on Car Soup and call small dealers. Tell them you know the business and give them one shot to give you the best price. Tell them you're looking at an identical one for a lot less... Trust me, you'll find a better deal.
There is a 95 XJ Sport, 1-owner, dark green with tan interior, 90k miles for sale on my street for $3600. It looks BRAND NEW!! They are everywhere.
jcnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
abacus6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature
And I see you are another Virginian, belong to any clubs in the area?
i've been posting on the NOVAJEEPERS site for a few years, but never actually wheeled with any of them. i've moved south, so i may try to hook up with poor boys in the spring...gotta get the cherokee and toys before!

so 10000 is that much too much? wow. i guess that changes a lot of factoring. sadly, it's the only limited ive seen within 100 miles and one of only like 12 that i've seen advertised. ugh

so nothing to worry about as far as the miles? its about 12000 over what i would have hoped for in the model year. obviuosly that'll depend on the type of miles and preventive maintenance performed, but any history of component failure that i might have to expect to replace right away?

Unread 02-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

It'd be hard for me to pay $10k for any Cherokee.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
scotty'98

A lot of people will say that they are awesome, and will really hold up. I saw one guy who had 300,000 + miles on his cherokee. Me, ive got about 135000 and it runs like new, the only problem, oil filter housing O-rings. I love it, wouldnt trade it for anything. I think $10,000 is almost right on the mark, if its in UNREAL condition. And im not sure if you know this, but the 01's had a distributerless, motor, and i think they have more 02 sensors, and some other small, enviro frendly items. But overall, you will love the cherokee. Good luck
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/scottagnew101][COLOR=DarkGreen]BIG GREEN 4x4 pic's.[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT] [URL=http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2109215615][COLOR=DarkGreen]More pictures[/COLOR][/URL]
[CENTER][QUOTE]The calling does not leave you when you fail...it leaves you when you stop fighting[/QUOTE]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL=https://www.burnlounge.com/curtissaunders]MUSIC[/URL][/CENTER]
scotty'98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

One of the many reasons why a lot of us chose a cherokee over a swb jeep is the poor resale value ( great for the purchaser, not so great for the seller). Xj's in my area go for 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a swb jeep in equal condition.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
hacked96

Sounds nice but way too high. Call your bank and ask what the REAL loan and retail value are, they will have to real NADA book that car dealers use, not the comic book NADA sold at auto parts.
hacked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #12
Fred85

I bought my 2001 green limited only with the upgraded cloth seats, NP231, C8.25, 16's and with 57k miles back in july for $12, 650 out the door

It has a lot to do with your location, that was actually a decent deal for a 2001 limited w/57k miles for my area............i was hard pressed finding a 2001 with low enough miles for a decent price.
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
abacus6

that makes me feel a little better...it's the only limited in the area and in terms of cosmetics, in great shape...i will drive it tomorrow, just wanted some ammo before going in. I have a pretty good idea what the new parts will cost and the labor ( just the gears, they're a mystery to me ), so i don't have a lot of room to fudge with. 12k would push that budget right to the limit, 10k would leave room for the little things. I'm hoping Joe at EndlessMtnFab can work some magic for me and skim some of the cost i've priced thru quadratec...

i know i need to be patient, just wanted to see how many others would work to get a jeep like this for the price, seems 50/50

good idea on calling the bank! i wasn't aware there were 2 nada's...kinda crappy that they put the crap one online

thanks for the responses...we shall see tomorrow, i guess. my buyer for the TJ flies in on saturday morning, so nothing concrete could happen until then anyway

Unread 02-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
abacus6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature
Only foo-foo comforts, and maybe 16" rims, but don't quote me on that.

And look to see if it has an 8.25 rear end, you'll thanks yourself later.
sorry, dumb question coming :

If it happens to have come from the factory w/ 16" wheels, would they have upgraded the brakes?

and...better rear axle, d35 or the chr 8.25?

thnx

Unread 02-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus6
sorry, dumb question coming :

If it happens to have come from the factory w/ 16" wheels, would they have upgraded the brakes?

and...better rear axle, d35 or the chr 8.25?

thnx
Same brakes, and the C. 8.25 is better (similar in strength to a D44)

FWIW, my bank usually wont do more than 30 months on a car that's 5 years old.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.