Going to the JY for an 8.8 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Going to the JY for an 8.8

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #61
Mike934

I'd stick to 4.56s personally. Even on 35s ur pushing 2256 rpm.

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #62
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
I'd stick to 4.56s personally. Even on 35s ur pushing 2256 rpm.
Yea hoping that I would keep that setup for awhile what are you running? Setup
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #63
Mike934

3.5" Rubcion express coils, 10" bilstein 7100s, custom long arm & xmember. Rear is 10" short body 7100s, these collapse to an 8" travel size, yet have 10" of travel.. I needed shorter shocks cause the raised shocks mounts with the 8.8 swap.
Anyway, those and custom deaver leafs for 3.5" of lift. HD offroad no lift relocators, custom made shackle. Flexes like made right is wonderful, doesn't sag with 400 lbs of camping gear.

33x10.5s bfgs AT's, d30' 4.56, trutrac, 10 factory chromos, trussed, wj swap, 3/16 control arm mounts, gusseted outter c's, bft 1/4" diff cover. 8.8, tubes welded to the 3rd member, 150 .250 wall truss, plated in with 3/16 cold rolled, oru cast iron diff cover, 4.56s, Aussie locker, disk break, 31 spline,
Chromos will get made for it eventually since there is no "off the shelf 31 spline c-clip chromo shaft". Few vendors on pirate can make em for around 350 though which ill end up doing, I'd also like to swap the rear to a tru trac or a selectable eventually. The Aussies eating my tires up pretty good.
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #64
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
3.5" Rubcion express coils, 10" bilstein 7100s, custom long arm & xmember. Rear is 10" short body 7100s, these collapse to an 8" travel size, yet have 10" of travel.. I needed shorter shocks cause the raised shocks mounts with the 8.8 swap.
Anyway, those and custom deaver leafs for 3.5" of lift. HD offroad no lift relocators, custom made shackle. Flexes like made right is wonderful, doesn't sag with 400 lbs of camping gear.

33x10.5s bfgs AT's, d30' 4.56, trutrac, 10 factory chromos, trussed, wj swap, 3/16 control arm mounts, gusseted outter c's, bft 1/4" diff cover. 8.8, tubes welded to the 3rd member, 150 .250 wall truss, plated in with 3/16 cold rolled, oru cast iron diff cover, 4.56s, Aussie locker, disk break, 31 spline,
Chromos will get made for it eventually since there is no "off the shelf 31 spline c-clip chromo shaft". Few vendors on pirate can make em for around 350 though which ill end up doing, I'd also like to swap the rear to a tru trac or a selectable eventually. The Aussies eating my tires up pretty good.
damn that's a setup!
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #65
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

grinding

Just an update
was able to finally grind off those old perches for the ubolts to fit through

now all i need is the shock mounts to be welded on and still have to figure the brake setup does anyone know if they just bolt right up to the xj brake system?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #66
Mike934

Thanks brother its been trail and error, money respect, money wasted, long nights and bloody knuckles. I changed my mind from crawler, to jeepspeed to expo rig. Stuck on expo rig. Camping, mild go fast, mild crawling. Jack of all trades, good at everything best at nothing
3 years and its been hard and ALOT of macncheese dinners but its almost there, almost. Everything's been replaced, hard lines, soft lines, motor, trans, tcase, interior. I've redone it all. It's getting close to completion

You have disks right? If so you need to left or 2 right side lines...which ever is the shorter side. You need 2 of those for a 95-98 exploda. Those connect to your calipers. And you will need a small tab to bolt them down.theits just hard lines like the stock setup...

I referenced this write up. Its shows you everything you'd need to know
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #67
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks brother its been trail and error, money respect, money wasted, long nights and bloody knuckles. I changed my mind from crawler, to jeepspeed to expo rig. Stuck on expo rig. Camping, mild go fast, mild crawling. Jack of all trades, good at everything best at nothing
3 years and its been hard and ALOT of macncheese dinners but its almost there, almost. Everything's been replaced, hard lines, soft lines, motor, trans, tcase, interior. I've redone it all. It's getting close to completion

You have disks right? If so you need to left or 2 right side lines...which ever is the shorter side. You need 2 of those for a 95-98 exploda. Those connect to your calipers. And you will need a small tab to bolt them down.theits just hard lines like the stock setup...

I referenced this write up. Its shows you everything you'd need to know
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
Yea Ive kinda been stuck on just wheeling and camping and since this is my real first build im wanting to do it right and only the first time lol

I have discs yea I managed to keep the lines intact

97 ford exploder rear end 3L73..

thanks appreciate it!!
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #68
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

once I get all this done this is the lift im thinking about picking up http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...t03_tire_test/

tires also
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #69
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
once I get all this done this is the lift im thinking about picking up http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...t03_tire_test/

tires also

Idk why but I've always been a tall skinny type of guy so I stuck with bfg AT's, however I have a set of baja ta's that I got wheeling on. Next go around ill Grab km2s. I don't see th need for 12.5 wides? More weight, less Economy...power steering heats quicker ect ect.
I kept mine low. & simple. The 3.5" was great, with the long arms and lockers its great. The wj swap makes it amazing on road. Brakes are killer. I've never been a fan of large lift because the steering angles & everything else. Lockers before lift

And carefull with iros setup, they rely on a single 10mm bolt to keep the 3 link together and their caster adjuster is terrible from everything I've heard and seen. I'd go Clayton I copied their whole set for arms ect custom x member, I dig the square tube arms over round
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #70
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Idk why but I've always been a tall skinny type of guy so I stuck with bfg AT's, however I have a set of baja ta's that I got wheeling on. Next go around ill Grab km2s. I don't see th need for 12.5 wides? More weight, less Economy...power steering heats quicker ect ect.
I kept mine low. & simple. The 3.5" was great, with the long arms and lockers its great. The wj swap makes it amazing on road. Brakes are killer. I've never been a fan of large lift because the steering angles & everything else. Lockers before lift

And carefull with iros setup, they rely on a single 10mm bolt to keep the 3 link together and their caster adjuster is terrible from everything I've heard and seen. I'd go Clayton I copied their whole set for arms ect custom x member, I dig the square tube arms over round
Well I'd prefer running thin tires I was thinking 10.5 and instead of lockers I decided to go with limited slip I don't think I"d like to change my steering setup.
Also heard rock krawler and bds make good lifts
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #71
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a components list for a lift 6.5" Kit? Some of the parts I already have and don't need a second pair like leafs,coils,ect
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #72
Mike934

Steering, track bar, shocks, shackle angle corrects such as relocators or sliders...HD offroad and rouch country offer them, if not it'll ride horrible with a **** angle.
I would focus on a good 4.5" kit and upgrade when your ready and have everything under control. Steering & shackle angles. Are 2 key things, as well as a slip yoke eleminator, driveshafts needing to be lengthen. It's a much of money that not too many people thinks it is.
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #73
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Steering, track bar, shocks, shackle angle corrects such as relocators or sliders...HD offroad and rouch country offer them, if not it'll ride horrible with a **** angle.
I would focus on a good 4.5" kit and upgrade when your ready and have everything under control. Steering & shackle angles. Are 2 key things, as well as a slip yoke eleminator, driveshafts needing to be lengthen. It's a much of money that not too many people thinks it is.
the research never seems to end

money isnt the issue although I have learned to save some money
and taking other steps/alternatives and making jy trips
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #74
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
the research never seems to end

money isnt the issue although I have learned to save some money
and taking other steps/alternatives and making jy trips

HD offroad no lift relocators are sick! I love mine. They replace the stock shackle box and give soo many mounting options. Even have a 1" or stay where you at option just by choosing the mounting hole
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #75
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

allright huge update since the last time I've been on here
rear axle regeared to 4:56 replaced the cover with a chrome one
found a local shop nearby to do them.

shock mounts are welded on (they were welded up higher than stock)
was recommended rancho adjustable shocks.

the last few things I need to do to make the jeep run would be a flange adapter to the yoke searched that a ford ranger or ford aerostar would fit but was unsure what year would fit I bought a flange adapter today from six states but it is the wrong size so me being impatient I cannot wait so Im going to the jy might as well pick up an extra driveshaft while im there

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.