Going doorless. Ideas for wiring connectors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Going doorless. Ideas for wiring connectors?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Going doorless. Ideas for wiring connectors?

I will be removing all 4 doors on my XJ in the next few days. I got a soundbar to put up on the ceiling that will replace the front door speakers. That will be a challenge in itself. But for now, I'm planning on cutting the door wires and putting some type of quick connector on them. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what type of connector to use? I just need the right tool for the job. Thanks!

..//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

When I had my xj and I took my doors off I used cupling connectors from radio shack

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032286
by JDNightFox - The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I found a pic of how I did it.
by JDNightFox - The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Oh awesome. Thanks! Did you put any kind of cap on them to keep dirt and water out? Just tape...?
..//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
Unread 04-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
RickyN29

Check out waytek wire, they should have a good solution.

I've been thinking of doing the same. I hate having to pop the kick panels off and unplug each time.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know on my 98 -- I took the plastic near the floor off (in the cab not on the door) and there is a harness that just unplugs .. 2 seconds .. really easy .. plug it back in later
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
DeftwillP
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatch83
Oh awesome. Thanks! Did you put any kind of cap on them to keep dirt and water out? Just tape...?
So my buddy just showed me the perfect fix for this. There are plastic grommets that are in a hole behind the taillights that are the same exact size. Just pop some out at the junkyard next time you're there. They usually won't charge you for them.
DeftwillP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It is going to take the same amount of time pretty much to unplug from the kick panel I think.
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Secondary question now: what about the courtesy light door switches? Is there simply a fuse to be removed or can they be disconnected neatly? Or will I need to go cutting wires?
..//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They just thread out then disco that connector as well
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

No need to unscrew the door pin switch.... Above the kick panel on each side is the wire, (black/white 87-92) its a single wire and has a detachable plug.... if you want to make it easier, cut the quick connects off and put in micro toggle switches... Thats how I did it.... Take doors off, flip the switches to kill the light!
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connector , door removal , doorless , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.