[ Glove box Lighting, Floor Lighting ] - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > [ Glove box Lighting, Floor Lighting ]

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Grizzy98

[ Glove box Lighting, Floor Lighting ]

standard and optional equipment for the 98 Cherokee...it says the glove box is supposed to be equiped with a light.
I just took mine off to see if I could find a burnt bulb...but can't see anything at all. Maby because it's a canadian model it doesnt have the Illuminated glove box...i just dont know.

http://www.cars.com/jeep/cherokee/19...=USA80JES042B0

copy and paste link for it to work.

Last edited by Grizzy98; 02-15-2011 at 02:47 AM..
Grizzy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Degra101
2007 JK Wrangler 

dead link.
Degra101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My 97 Sport has a lamp above the glovebox, but does not the "courtesy" lights for the foot wells. I'd take what I read on that site with a grain of salt- they list several things as standard that I have never seen on a later model. Rub strips on the bumper, step bumper, rack and pinion steering, etc.
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Grizzy98

Yeah...I found a better site. http://autos.yahoo.com/jeep/cherokee.../features.html
says that even the se model has glove box lighting.
i still should have found it when I checked.

Last edited by Grizzy98; 02-11-2011 at 02:45 AM..
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My '98 base model doesn't even have power windows. It has no glove box light. This also had the worlds largest gas gauge in the idiot light cluster (until I swapped it out). The link you show is for the 'Sport' model which prolly contains more standard features than the base.
Mike
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 99 Classic has lights below the dash, but no glove box light.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My '89 Cherokee Pioneer had glovebox lights, but I don't recall if there were foot lights. I don't think so.
My '96 Cherokee Sport had glovebox and foot lights. However, it also had the four map lights in the overhead console.
My '96 Cherokee SE has glovebox lights.

:shrug:
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

90 XJ - Laredo - has glovebox light and foot lights

88 MJ - Pioneer - has glovebox light, did NOT have foot lights but did have the wiring for them. I grabbed a couple from the JY and they plugged right in...and worked.

You may have the wiring there and have to do the same thing. On the earlier models it's up and tucked under the dash so you never really see the bare bulb. On the later models it has a little white transluscent diffuser, a tiny light fixture that you have to open and pull the bulb.

The glovebox light is right behind and above the inside latch...there may be an empty socket, or at least a wire.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Good point about the wiring - I might just have to go look at my '96 now and add some lights.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Grizzy98

Last edited by Grizzy98; 02-15-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Grizzy98

My 98 model doesn't have power windows...or locks. There is no floor illumination...or glove box lighting. It only has power...adjustable mirrors. It's actually pretty kool.

Last edited by Grizzy98; 02-15-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
Grizzy98

Unread 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
JBVfromFK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

my 99 sport has floor illumination, but no glovebox lamp that I can find. I will be looking again tonight, now that I think I know what the switch itself looks like. It is (apparently) OEM #4565022, and a google search will bring up images. it looks like it was used in a bunch of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep applications. Considering how much unused wiring is waiting for upgrades that I don't have, I am hoping to find the wiring for this switch/lamp combo just waiting for me.

Edit- I found a junkyard '98 with a glovebox light. There is a hole in the sheet metal for it right next to the glovebox latch. My 99 does not have the hole, or the wiring, although the glove box door does have the "push point" molded into the plastic. It will take some cutting and splicing to make it work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.