Give me some good reasons to not trade my XJ for a wrangler... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Give me some good reasons to not trade my XJ for a wrangler...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

Give me some good reasons to not trade my XJ for a wrangler...

I have always wanted one since I was 9 and saw my neighbors blue renegade with stars and stripes painted flames... My main concern is it being as safe as my XJ for my daughter thats on the way. And obviously storage space.

www.militaryjeepers.com come check us out
medicbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
gradysjeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wranglers are great but I bet if you make that trade a few months later you will find yourself missing your xj. Really the only benifit I see from having a wrangler over a xj is cruising without that top when the weather is nice. Other then that you will wish you had your old xj instead. Much easier to strap a car seat in the back of an xj.
gradysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

i suppose i could just do the doorless mod have sunroof put in and call it good lol.... for some reason im just concerned should i get in accident with it the inability to rebuild it compared to a wrangler
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

wranglers are for cheerleaders, ride worse, make more noise from wind and the hardtop rattling or the soft top flapping around, less fuel milage, sometimes scary offroad (unstable).
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Guswut
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbear View Post
i suppose i could just do the doorless mod have sunroof put in and call it good lol.... for some reason im just concerned should i get in accident with it the inability to rebuild it compared to a wrangler
I'd rather lose a car than lose my life. Your daughter would be much safer in the XJ from all of the pictures I've seen of crashed Cherokees versus Wranglers.

Good luck!
Guswut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
DillsburgXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had a 95 YJ for a couple of years. I'm in a similar situation (daughter coming in a month or so) so I sold the YJ and bought an XJ. I do miss the wrangler, but there are definitely some things I don't miss. I don't miss having to watch the weather non stop (filled it with H2O several times). I don't miss not being able to hear the person sitting in the passenger seat (I truly enjoy hearing my wife tell me that I don't need a lift and tires). Not to mention the fact that we watched our friend's toddler a few times and I realized that my kids would all suffer brain damage from me trying to climb into the lifted Jeep and crawl behind the seat and put him into the carrier. To be serious, as much as I'd like to own a YJ again, the XJ is by far a better choice for me right now. Hopefully it is the right choice for you too. Enjoy your XJ.
DillsburgXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer419 View Post
wranglers are for cheerleaders, ride worse, make more noise from wind and the hardtop rattling or the soft top flapping around, less fuel milage, sometimes scary offroad (unstable).
I traded my MJ(owned 3XJ's before that) for an '03 Rubicon SWB. 4 coil springs, getting rid of the e-load tires and stock gas charged shocks it rides a helluva lot nicer then my MJ or or all of my XJ's. On the other hand I still do miss my XJ, but I'm young and I had to get the bug out of my system before women, kids and all that get in the way. Next bug to cure, owning a Vette.

To the OP, you're young, you only live once, do it, you can always try and pick up a beater XJ later.

edit - Reading comprehension is not for me, you have a daughter on the way perhaps you should look at some "real" safety info like IIHS not just war stories from internet crash investigators.

Misc. Jeep stuff for sale/free
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664793
MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

obviously my daughters safety is #1 and with her being an infant if I did go with a wrangler with her so young there would be no way she would be in it without a hardtop
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I say if you've always wanted one then get one. I've never understood why people don't just buy what they want instead of buying an "appliance" car. So it's a little hard to get a car seat in and out. If you really want one it'll totally be worth the very minor inconvenience. Just because you have a kid doesn't mean you have to wait 18 years to have anything that you think is cool. If you can afford it, do it!

On a side note I'm not xj bashing, I actually chose it over a wrangler. It's just my personal preference.

And congrats on the baby!
1slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Guswut
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbear View Post
obviously my daughters safety is #1 and with her being an infant if I did go with a wrangler with her so young there would be no way she would be in it without a hardtop
Exactly. At this point in your life you need to think of her above yourself. The XJ is a great blend between functional trail vehicle and over sized minivan. I love how I can (after taking out my supplies) use my XJ nearly as a pick up truck with the rear seat folded down. I can fit five people (myself included of course) decently, and best of all it's a design that I've SEEN proven time and time again to be extremely efficient, powerful, and reliable. I really can't speak for that on the Wrangler side because I only ever hear about the Cherokees lasting forever (more made so more good stories? Who knows!).

In the end, you need to pick what is right for you as a father, not you as yourself. I feel like I'm too young to be saying this (I'm 22), but it's the right thing to do here. Best of luck, and don't forget you can always have BOTH later on after you have some extra money (heh, yeah RIGHT!).
Guswut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

lol... once i get a house and a garage maybe ill get a wrangler as a project and re do it... who the hell knows... like i said maybe ill just do the doorless and get a sunroof put in call it good for now... maybe once shes about 5 or so (hopefully before then) ill get one... oh well... i can still have fun and haul the groceries for now i guess. thought i cant say if the right hardtop wrangler comes along..... who knows lol....
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One of the problems is Wranglers hold their value so freakin' well that you'll either be taking a hit on your wallet, or getting way less of a vehicle for what you could get out of your XJ. Not to mention, the 6 cyl ones are harder to come by.

I miss my YJ REALLY bad...but, it's easy to reflect on the good parts and not remember the flapping ragtop, gutless 4cyl, cobbled exhaust, and covered wagon on the Oregon trail ride. I'm sort of in the same boat as you...I just got married this past fall, and the XJ isn't going to be our primary vehicle for transportation, but once there's little ones in the picture it'll be a heckuva lot easier than a Wrangler.
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

A reason not to trade for a Wrangler with a kid on the way...hmm....ok. You ever seen how much crap you have to pack around when there's a kid in tow? Not to mention when her favorite Elmo doll gets snatched up by the wind while on the interstate, you WILL be turning around to find that damn doll! lol They're just noisey and cramped man, by no stretch of the imagination is that an ideal environment for an infant....wait till she's a couple of years old at least.

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

congrats on the kid on the way and XJ's are by far safer, but if your child is the main concern i dont know if even an XJ is the safest.

Im sure ill get flamed for this but they keep the passengers safe, definetly, but are extremely rigid in accidents. I know we dont plan on getting side-swiped or hit trees but thats why they are accidents. XJ's design was started during a time for jeep when they were still meant for trail riding and getting beat on. Crumple zones werent really a priority at the time (considering the time as mid/ later 80s because the same design was kept for so long) After my accident, the impact of a fully loaded (ski gear, not other passengers) going around 40 into a tree was harsh. I survived but had a bit of whip lash- the frame bent in and my roof above me crumpled, the door jam bashed outwards. The bumper only pushed in about 6 inches. Going from 40 to dead stop in 6 inches is very harsh.

I still got another XJ because being young and healty, my body can handle it, but for younger kids, thats a harsh stop. I love my XJ, its a beast, it never stops, if i crash into someone/ something going slow, its a jeep of course, and going really fast, (for someone healthy enough/ strong enough to handle that force) the rigid frames gonna be good at not crumpling on me. But the technology volvo's, VW's, suburu's, and other cars, hell, even newer jeeps are still gonna be the best protection for your new loved one.

That being said. XJ is safer, holds more groceries and gear. and that back seat folded down is a great way to make new kids (though i prefer to wrap it before i tap it) and would be the safer choice
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ya XJ just for the kids junk factor and ease of use with a car seat(i have 3 kids). but i dont take 3 in the jeep.
i dont think i can get 3 car seat wide in there those car seats are huge..
thats what the Eddie bauer expedition is for..
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #1 :D
alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.