Getting that oil filter adapter bolt out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Getting that oil filter adapter bolt out.

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
kpjoyce

Getting that oil filter adapter bolt out.

My oil leak from the bad oil filter adapter o-ring is getting bad. I need to get that replaced.
I tried it once before, but got frustrated when I couldn't get a tool on it and leverage at the same time. This time, I'm thinking that I'll need to take the engine mount loose and jack up the engine to get the clearance I need to remove that dang bolt.
I'm worried about the bolt, though. I'm worried that I might break off the bolt trying to take it out. I'm hoping that you'll tell me that I'm stupid to worry about that.

kpjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
rstarch345

Try this out http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html
'71 M151
I'm a proud member of MyUniBody
rstarch345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
citRon
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had to use a 3 foot long pipe over my wrench to break it loose.
citRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dude,

I removed the one motor mount bolt that is directly in line with it, and I had plenty of room to work. Didnt have to jack the motor or anything. fairly straightforward, but yeah, that bolt is a biznitch.

......its gonna be tight all the way to the last twist, too. There is a smaller O ring on the shaft of the bolt that binds all the way out. Dont sweat it, go slow, dont panic. Maybe crack it forward before you back it off to loosen it up.

Good luck.
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Forgive me if I didn't notice but what year is your Jeep? Different years have different fasteners.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.