Getting a new cherokee monday! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Getting a new cherokee monday!

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
MicahSmith
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Getting a new cherokee monday!

Ok, so im 95 percent sure that i will have my 95 xj sport on monday and i have a question. We are getting the jeep pretty cheap because it gives me a way to have a great project and eventual off road car. The main thing that we have to do is replace the shocks, basically two of them are going bad but my dad and i are just going to replace them all. So, my question is this, which shocks should i be looking into? I would love to have some that allow for a comfortable ride on pavement and will protect my jeep offroad. As you can tell i do not know a whole bunch about shocks individually so any help would be really appreciated!

MicahSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you're looking to eventually modify and lift the Jeep, I'd go with the cheapest ones you can find at the auto store. It won't ride like a Benz, but you're saving your money for the $$$ Blisteins that will come with the lift.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

stay away from rough country shocks. i got a set for my 91 and now i feel EVERY bump, or squirrel, on the road. for a stock jeep i use the autozone shocks with lifetime warranty. they ride good and still allow you some protection for play. once you do the lift, if you plan to, i would get a good set, but as its been said go cheap for now and pay for a good set once you lift
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
MicahSmith
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmmm...I never thought about going autozone lifetimes, good ideas and thanks for the replies, ok next Q, I would like to lift my jeep (if i do end up getting it, Lord willing) ehhh lets say 2 inches, which type of lift is a good balance between cost and safety? Also, should I lift first or get new tires first? I know it makes since usually to lift first so you can buy and fit bigger tires but, I know my parents will be more willing to buy bigger all terrains before they will want to buy a lift kit. Especially because I will first be fitting new shocks and fixing some cosmetic things, which will already cost a bit of money.
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

First, congratulations and I hope you enjoy it.
Second, get ready for rusty bolts. Specifically, as pertains to shocks, the upper bolts on the rear shocks are notorious for breaking because of rust. Search the forum for some tricks to fix.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
brak876
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahSmith View Post
Hmmmm...I never thought about going autozone lifetimes, good ideas and thanks for the replies, ok next Q, I would like to lift my jeep (if i do end up getting it, Lord willing) ehhh lets say 2 inches, which type of lift is a good balance between cost and safety? Also, should I lift first or get new tires first? I know it makes since usually to lift first so you can buy and fit bigger tires but, I know my parents will be more willing to buy bigger all terrains before they will want to buy a lift kit. Especially because I will first be fitting new shocks and fixing some cosmetic things, which will already cost a bit of money.
I had a 1.5 inch budget boost from Teraflex on my 96 cherokee which retains the stock ride. You can fit 30x9.5 tires with that. With no lift you can use 235/75r15 (29X9.25). The 235/75r15 looked ok on mine after lifted 1.5 inch.

brak876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on getting a Jeep!

I have three XJs: my main 1998, a 1999 Classic I just picked up, and a 1996 that will be getting a little more off-road attention once more money comes. The Classic was just a vehicle to pick up to recondition and sell.

The shock bolts in the back will break on you whether you want them to or not. Mine did. Everyone says how easy it is with a punch and a 2# sledge, or an air hammer with a punch end.

I couldn't get mine to budge, so I went with the longer bolts through the floor. It worked just fine, but I'm sure if I lift my 1998, I'll want to address the issue. This was a temporary fix until I can get a shop to fix the issue. I don't feel like screwing with it anymore after spending hours and hours trying to get the old bolts out. It's a huge PITA.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about the upper rear shock bolts. It's a pretty easy fix when they break. Shock bolt replacement: a fix with pics (Heavy)

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote here NOW in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure to presoak all potential project bolts prior to the day of work. PB Blaster is your friend :-)
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Post a pic of the new ride
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
MicahSmith
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here it is on the first day out wheeling! Sure will be better when i get my new shocks and all terrains! Plus maybe a 2" lift!
image-198142013.jpg

Unread 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Looks good, I like that color.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the XJ

Far as shocks i agree on not going with the higher end stuff. Your probly just gonna replace them later anyways after a lift.

IMO shocks are shocks untill you get into the higher end of things, most all are made in the same place with the same componants. A napa shock is the same as a RC or any other mediocre supplier just with a different sticker on it. Lol
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
MicahSmith
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok sounds good! so how about a suspension lift? I know i can do 2" spacers for the coils in the front but what about the leafs in the rear? My axle is already under my leaves so i can't do that, what is the best thing to do that is the cheapest?
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is a million companys that sell lifts around 2" and all are pretty cheap.
Also a lot of different options for junk yard parts.

Research the hell out if it, there is numerous options to get 2" of lift for really cheap.
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.