Getting a junkyard motor, Which jeep is best to pull from ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Getting a junkyard motor, Which jeep is best to pull from ?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
svt4me

Getting a junkyard motor, Which jeep is best to pull from ?

I have a 2001 Cherokee 2dr 5 speed that I picked up with a blown motor. My plan is to get a used motor out of the junk yard and swap that in. So that leads me to which jeep should I get the motor from ? Ideally I would like to go get one from a 2001 but it is the junkyard so there is not always perfect cars to choose from so, I would like to broaden my rang by including 96+ cherokees, and possibly ZJ's. So what are the differences if I were to do so? I know the intakes are different, but I don't know about the front accessories etc. Let me know what options I have, and what I would need to do to get something like a zj motor to run.

svt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
WhammyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would guess either an '00 or '01. Reason being the ignition system changed in '00 to have a spark plug rail and the distributor has been removed.
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
WhammyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
svt4me

is that something I can just swap over from the current engine ?
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
RLE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you get a 2000-2001 motor, you need to check the 0331 head for cracks,
as this was common. Maybe that is why your vehicle's engine was ruined.

Look at Tim's post in this thread for your possibilities:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...0-fit-2254673/

Use the forum search function for "0331 head" and "4.0 swap" and such
and you'll find a wealth of information.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
svt4me

thank you, that helped a lot, I have found that a 96-99xj would be the best engine for me, with the use of an after market header, or exhaust work. But now I only have questions about installing the cam position sensor "distributor thing" how do I time it ?
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
RLE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've never done that but you might want to start a new thread with your specific
question and some of the many guys who can answer your question will respond.

You can look at the Factory Service Manual (Ignition systems section) here
if you don't have one :
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Download a parts catalog while you're there, it's really handy.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
navymadman68
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I have done a couple of these swaps.All the 4.0 HO blocks are basiclly the same but the 96 to 99 are my favorite, they make their power a little lower in the rpms. That being said, find a good compression 4.0 out of either a xj or a grand cherokee, put the two engines side by side, and move all your externals from you old engine to the new. If its an older block it wont be drilled for the coil packs.But you can improvise. Just swap it all over, flexplate, manifolds motor mounts, everything. As for the camshaft sensor, I dont think any timing involved, as long as the oilpump drive is lined up.
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
svt4me

I think I have decided to run a 96-99 block as they seem to have a few at the junkyard, and put my head on it so I do not have to worry about exhaust.
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt4me View Post
I think I have decided to run a 96-99 block as they seem to have a few at the junkyard, and put my head on it so I do not have to worry about exhaust.
Check your head to see if it was ever replaced (if it was, you will see TUPY) cast into it when you look down inside the oil fill hole. If not, you would be better off using the head that comes with your replacement engine and getting an aftermarket header. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a cracked head that caused the blown engine.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You most certainly have to time it by bringing the engine too TDC compression stroke, index the cam sensor to the 1 o'clock position by placing a drill bit through the pulse ring and the small hole in the base of the cam sensor and keep the drill bit in place until the CPS is installed then rotate the oil pump shaft to right around the 11 o'clock position and then install the cam sensor into the position while keeping it indexed. As far as your old 0331 head I would not even think of reusing it. Clearwater Heads also builds a much stronger head to replace the 0331 head if you cant find a TUPY head. If you purchase one of them make certain to keep and reuse the steel dowel intake alignment dowels out of your old head as the new one does not come with them.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
multmigs
2003 WJ 

grand Cherokee later style motors will NOT work in XJ, different bolt holes cast into the block for things like the engine mounts
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.