Getting 6-8 mpg, what could be wrong? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Getting 6-8 mpg, what could be wrong?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Ansleigh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hey yall, thanks for all the advice!

I got a new O2 sensor installed, as well as a new fuel filter (my dad had purchased one years back for the car), and it turns out the old fuel filter was bad too. I got a new catalytic converter put on, and new spark plugs. My car doesnt reek of gas anymore, and it cranks faster, which is great, BUT, I noticed it shook really badly when I tried to drive it so I got the guy who put the new parts on for me to check the spark plugs for the gap distance. He gapped them this time, and now the car is shaking even worse and its like the engine is shaking and knocking when I get up to 45 mph. The jeep also shakes horribly when I am idling at a stop sign.

What do I do now?!?!

Ansleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
buildin1XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the fuel filter was that bad it could point to clogged or sticky fuel injectors.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
TexasSteve
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 99 was idling rough, difficult to start and was getting bad gas mileage. I replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor. It fixed all of these things immediatly for $18. It is the sensor on the engine where the radiator hose goes on. The sensor sends information to the computer and alters a bunch of settings for cold or warm starts. Best $18 I have spent on my Jeep. Not sure if this will help though, mine ran Ok at speed.
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansleigh View Post
Hey yall, thanks for all the advice!

I got a new O2 sensor installed, as well as a new fuel filter (my dad had purchased one years back for the car), and it turns out the old fuel filter was bad too. I got a new catalytic converter put on, and new spark plugs. My car doesnt reek of gas anymore, and it cranks faster, which is great, BUT, I noticed it shook really badly when I tried to drive it so I got the guy who put the new parts on for me to check the spark plugs for the gap distance. He gapped them this time, and now the car is shaking even worse and its like the engine is shaking and knocking when I get up to 45 mph. The jeep also shakes horribly when I am idling at a stop sign.

What do I do now?!?!
Check that he got the plug wires on the right plugs!
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.