Gauges Working Intermittently - 1997 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Gauges Working Intermittently - 1997 Cherokee

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
jrennard3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Gauges Working Intermittently - 1997 Cherokee

Hello!

This is my first post, but I am so happy to have found an awesome forum like this! This is my second Cherokee and I am an addict. However, I never had issues with my first, so this is why I am just now finding this forum!

I've had this Cherokee for a few short months. Shortly after bringing it home, I noticed that the gauges were working intermittently. At first the speedometer and tachometer would be working, then cut out, then come back after a few seconds. Over time they've pretty much stopped working altogether, but will occasionally kick in for about 15-30 seconds before cutting out again.

More recently the other gauges have started to act funny as well. Just yesterday all of the gauges briefly cut out, before coming back on.

I've noticed that if I have the vehicle running, then stop the engine and power, then turn it back on in about 2-3 minutes, the gauges will kick on for a few seconds, before turning off again.

Do I need to be looking at connections, wires, or fuses? I'm a technical person, so I am not afraid to get in there, but some guidance is appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back! This is just one question of many to come! I also need to look into a sound coming from the rear of the Cherokee! Thanks!

jrennard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You might want to check the connectors behind the gauge cluster. sounds like a loose connection.
A possible noise from the rear may be the exhaust pipe hanger that goes into the rubber block near the tailpipe.
The rubber waddles out with age. I took a piece of tubing (3/8 or 1/2 inch ) and split it length wise to slide over the hanger piece. It acts like a bushing to take up the slack.
Unread 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrennard3 View Post
Do I need to be looking at connections, wires, or fuses?
Read the info at the link below. It is for a Wrangler. but the Cherokee is very similar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ite-up-179282/

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
ASTEDMAN

guages going on and off - skim module light on

well i had the security key light come on and stay on (not flashing). sometimes it went out but it was on more than off. but my 2000 grand cherokee ran fine. however, it died on me 2 or 3 times over a week and 1/2. but always started right back up after i came to a stop and put in park and restarted.
then a week or two into it the guages all went dead, and all the dash lights came on. but the wj was still running fine. the guages would bounce on and off but usually stay on. then i realized it was happening when the temperature went below say 45 degrees. it happend alot then, but she still ran fine... the key light was coming on almost everytime but the guages seem to only bounce around when the outside temperature was under 45 degrees or so....
got to be a ground.... right??? well i undid the battery terminals and cleaned them even thought they looked good and left the battery unplugged for 20 minutes. i read this may reset the computer. did not expect much. but that was two days ago and i have not had a problem since. and the temperature was in the 30's. i am still skeptical but it is working great since i cleaned the terminals and left it unplugged to rest the computer.
so we will see
alan
ASTEDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.