Funny intermittent vibration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Ciphery
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Funny intermittent vibration

Here is the back ground:
I have recently done a bastard pack set up using; the bottom 3 springs from a new set of CROWN stock replacement leaf packs and keeping the top 2 OEM leafs from my 01 XJ.
( I chickened out on trying to remove my upper shackle bolts and front leaf spring bolts)
I also added new Monroe max air shocks to assist my aging saggy springs when I load up with fishing gear.
I'm keeping the shocks air pressure down around 35psi so as to not jack up the rear end too much or over stress my crossmember.

Problem:
I am now experiencing a funny vibration coming from the drive line I suspect when the vehicle is put under load. I can feel it faintly at 40km/h in the floor boards and then it disappears as I hit 50km/h....it returns with a vengeance at around 80km/h and goes away around 90km/h once my tranny shifts into 4t.
If I let off the vibrations are reduced yet still present, if I accelerate hard the vibrations are much more pronounced than if I accelerate gently or going down hill and allow gravity to assist my acceleration.
I'm not sure if I have a pinion angle that is out of alignment, a bad ujoint, a bad slip yoke, or a failing tranny mount or something else.
Anyone else experience such conditions?
What was the cure?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 AM
ou2mame

Probably a bad u joint. When you change the angle on old joints that wore into a specific angle, there are usually vibrations when you change that angle.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Could also be the transmission mount. It allows the rear of the transmission to sag, and the exhaust pipe is bracketed to the rear of the transmission. When the transmission, and the exhaust pipe with it, sags, it allows the exhaust pipe to contact the crossmember.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!

post #4 of 5 Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Ciphery
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I checked the u joints tonight and they all seemed tight.....but that check led to a grim discovery.....my rear driveshaft slip yoke is sloppy.....that will be a fun replacement
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Ciphery
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So now loosing hope.
I CAN NOT find a NV242. OEM replacement slip yoke or SYE anywhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.