Fuel system problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel system problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Ajkub

Fuel system problem

1990 Cherokee 4.0
When key is turner forward fuel pump runs for three seconds. Then there is click sound under hood and pump stops. So it will not run or build fuel pressure.
Is there a relay, breaker, or switch some where? I can not find any thing wrong electrically.

Ajkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

That is the way it is supposed to work. It is called priming. It sends fuel to the rail to build up pressure and then it stops until you turn the engine over. So when you start to crank the engine over it will start again.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea ... Need more info ... Is it cranking but not starting, or not cranking at all. You got to tell us more?

Any codes? What's your fuel pressure?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.