Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fuel Sender FIX---WRITE-UP

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cruiser54 
#1 ·
NOTE_______This was done on an 88 RENIX XJ--Similarly used for 92+(sender is mounted differently), unsure about the 96+ with the regulator in the tank.
NOTE_______You do not have to remove the tank.
And please, before you attempt this; run your Jeep mostly out of gas.

For those of you that your fuel gauge does not work properly like me.
Whether it is this

or just does not work.

Start by removing the fuel relay

or the fuse on other XJ's.
Start the Jeep a few times to relieve pressure.
Then remove the fuel pressure cap and lay a rag down. Press in the relief valve to relase the remaining pressure and let any fuel drain into the tank.

While under the jeep remove the two clamps on the lines on the assembly.

Release the clamp holding the electrical line

and unplug the connector.

Now you need to turn the retaining ring COUNTERCLOCKWISE to release the assembly.

CAREFULLY wiggle the assembly out.

There is a fuel "sock" or filter on the assembly, and sender that can be damaged during removal.
Now that the assembly is out use a meter to test the sender.

As you move your sender the meter should move gradually, but most likely not if you have sender/gauge issues.

Remove the panel that coves the sender(only on RENIX jeeps, others have no cover)

It slides to the right and comes off.
Probably will be dirty.

Bend the small piece of metal toward the little resistor strip.

Then try to get some fine sandpaper in there to clean it up.

Try to wrap a small screw driven in it if you have stubby fingers like me.

Try to get the underside of the metal strip. Make sure yo do not bend it back though, or it will not contact the resistor strip and your gauge will not work. Unplug all the connections and clean them well.

SPECIAL PROCEDURE
Some of you may have your sender float full of gas like the one on my 92 was. It weighs the sender down so you are always on E. Drain the gas and clean up the float, let it sit a while to dry.
Take a hot soldering iron and melt the plastic around the opening, try to cover the opening to seal it. BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE ANYMORE HOLES.

Do you and everyone else a favor and change this

It is a fuel "sock" or secondary filter. On both my XJ's this was the cause of no fuel, not the regular filter or the pump. It is a few bucks, and will save you a lot of time money, and head scratching.
Before you put everything back together test the sender. Stand it up like it would be in the tank. Move the float around and see if the meter moves accordingly and does not jump around. Try to move the sender every-which-way like driving to see if your meter does not move with it, as in it lost contact. If it does fluctuate try to bend the contact more, or clean the resistor strip more.
Put the cover back on the sender. The tabs fit into the cutouts and it will slide to the left.

Put it back into the tank CAREFULLY to not drop the filter off the pump, or bend the sender.
Try to wiggle this bastard or SOB back into place and get the lines all put back on correctly. The line from the filter goes on the larger or the two metal lines on the assembly. This is the hardest part and will take more time than it took to get it out and fixed.

Don't forget the electrical connector and clamp. Also the pressure valve cover.
Start the Jeep to work the fuel into the lines, and hopefully the gauge works. Both times i did this it fixed my gauge.

See less See more