fuel pump relay location on 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > fuel pump relay location on 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
rgjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

fuel pump relay location on 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0

newbie to jeep cherokees....there are four relays on the passenger side of my 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0 which one is for the fuel pump relay...remember newbie please be kind. Thanks

rgjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Jeds Sr.
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Crap I can't remember..... One of them is for the AC. I don't know what the other two are for. The fuel pump kicks on for a second or two when you turn on the switch. Pull one at a time till you figure it out.
Jeds Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjeep View Post
newbie to jeep cherokees....there are four relays on the passenger side of my 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0 which one is for the fuel pump relay...remember newbie please be kind. Thanks
In my experience, those four relays are not always in the same order from one vehicle to the next. The fuel relay receptacle will have orange/black wires attached.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Jeds Sr.
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I looked in the manual and couldn't find it.
Jeds Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

See page 51:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ion_manual.pdf
Unread 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
tc90xjcherokee
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was always second from the front of the vehicle on all of my XJs.
tc90xjcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc90xjcherokee View Post
Mine was always second from the front of the vehicle on all of my XJs.
How many Renix Cherokees have you owned?

There is a picture in this thread that shows the fuel pump relay to be the third from the front:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cps-fuel-pump-relay-location-542307/
Unread 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
rgjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

thanks guys that was very helpful. i am coming from Dodge and i am still learning about this little gem i got for cheap...
rgjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
ejoe
1987 FSJ Cherokee 

High acceleration - unusual solution

My high idle was a mystery on my auto transmission, 4 litre engine. Seemed to happen when the Jeep was warm, but could be cold, seemed to happen after it was started later on after having been run in the last hour or so, but not always... I replaced the rotor, cap, plugs and wires, that seemed to help but not as much. Hunted down a couple of vacuum leaks, but...
Oddly enough, when the Jeep was hot the high idle was more likely to kick in - when cold (less than 50 degrees temp outside) there seemed to be no problem, but the idle was low. Again, confusing.

I can only offer what worked. I began to discover that when I was stopped on a hill, and moving from brake to gas managed to roll backwards a touch... then the problem of high idle would come back the next time I started it. 1500 rpm minimum, sometimes over 3000 rpm... and yet, as far as I know there is no vacuum line going to the transmission such as there was on the older GM transmissions that had vacuum assist on the transmission. Is there?

When I stopped letting the Jeep roll backwards on a hill (and, among other things, stop creating havoc with all the little check valves in the transmission relay) the problem went away after a while. This just does not make sense, but when the usual suspects are ruled out such as ignition, carburation, fuel injection problems, throttle linkage jamming, the ECM keeping the idle up because the computer thinks there is a problem, then the highly unlikely becomes plausible. If this sounds out there, than just keep looking for that vacuum leak or something.
ejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.