Fuel pump relay issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel pump relay issues.

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
robert644
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel pump relay issues.

Hello,

Well, I am trying to make my poor 89 XJ get up and go, but it is one thing after another apparently. I replaced my leaky original injectors with nice Bosch 00280155746 ones, but then developed a leak at the rail/hose fitting. Of course no one knows what a fuel line quick disconnect kit is here in town.

After solving that, my fuel pump up and gave up. There is power to the relay, and I can jumper the connections and make the pump go, however nothing with the relay - except

When I initially turn the key, the pump fires up for about a second, then quits and stays off. If I bleed the system with the fuel pressure testing port, the pump does not kick in to maintain pressure, and I don't recall seeing anythihng about a pressure switch anywhere in the system anyhow.

Also, if I hotwire the switch, the vehicle still doesn't want to start.

The longer I own this car, the more I realize I can't give up on it, for all the time and effort put into the thing, and the specific knowledge about it! I hope this isn't a bad ECU though, and perhaps I need to just hotwire the thing as the ignition key switch gave out some time ago.

Thanks for your help and time.

robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
robert644
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So I read that when turning the key, there is an initial prime, after which the pump shuts off. Then it reactivates during cranking. Vehicle will still not start, and testing indicates voltage to the coil. I guess I will pull out my spark tester next!
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump , relay , voltage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.