Fuel pump noise and rough idle only after running for long periods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel pump noise and rough idle only after running for long periods

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Paul80452
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel pump noise and rough idle only after running for long periods

Hi,

I did a search, but couldn't find anything with these particular symptoms.

I have a 91 XJ 4.0 and the fuel pump has always been noisy after driving for awhile (45+ miles). I replaced the pump long ago and it did not fix the noise problem.

When I drive it long distances the pump will eventually begin to make noise. It doesn't necessarily cause any problems, but if I drive it even further, especially in hot weather it begins to idle roughly as well. Lastly, in hot weather over long distances the gas tank develops a pressure indifference (I'm not 100% positive whether it is pressurized or pulling a vacuum, but I think it is pressurized). I have tried a new gas cap and it doesn't seem to help the pressure indifference.

I've read about ballast resistors and pump noise, and it is quite possible that I bought a crappy pump when I replaced it, but is it possible that this is something to do with the mounting bracket in the tank or the venting system?

I made sure that the rubber end caps were on the pump when I installed it.

If you have any ideas thanks in advance.

Paul

Paul80452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul80452 View Post
Hi,

I did a search, but couldn't find anything with these particular symptoms.

I have a 91 XJ 4.0 and the fuel pump has always been noisy after driving for awhile (45+ miles). I replaced the pump long ago and it did not fix the noise problem.

When I drive it long distances the pump will eventually begin to make noise. It doesn't necessarily cause any problems, but if I drive it even further, especially in hot weather it begins to idle roughly as well. Lastly, in hot weather over long distances the gas tank develops a pressure indifference (I'm not 100% positive whether it is pressurized or pulling a vacuum, but I think it is pressurized). I have tried a new gas cap and it doesn't seem to help the pressure indifference.

I've read about ballast resistors and pump noise, and it is quite possible that I bought a crappy pump when I replaced it, but is it possible that this is something to do with the mounting bracket in the tank or the venting system?

I made sure that the rubber end caps were on the pump when I installed it.

If you have any ideas thanks in advance.

Paul
Was the brand Airtex? Bypass the ballast resistor and see what happens just for fun.

Or, test the output from the ballast resistor while it's running. Oughta be 9 or 10 volts.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Shortyyyyyy
1988 XJ Cherokee 

a cap that isn't venting pressure/vacuum can give you the problems you are having-- next time it's running like poop, pull the cap off and see if it begins idling better in a minute or two. The noise you are getting may also be from a pump that is working too hard to pull fuel from a tank that already has increased vacuum from the fuel used-- not the first thought, but always a possibility....
Shortyyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Paul80452
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the replies so far. I have switched the caps as well, because I know that they are supposed to vent at a certain pressure, but switching didn't make a difference.

I have a back-up balast resistor so maybe I'll change it out. I'll also try to run it with the cap off and see what that does.

In reality, I'm hoping to sell it this week (with the issues full disclosed), so perhaps I'll be passing this info on to the new owner.
Unread 07-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
Paul80452
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Lastly, I did find the box for the fuel pump that I switched it with. I couldn't find an actual manufacturer on the Napa box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.