Fuel pump fuse blowing immediately - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel pump fuse blowing immediately

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
RenanMilk
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel pump fuse blowing immediately

I've seen a few threads on this topic but none of them have the exact same symptoms as I.

My fuel pump fuse (#19 in the PDC) blows as soon as I plug it in, with the keys in the ON position. I tried a 20 amp fuse just to try and get home with no luck. I happen to have copper wire with me, so I tried using that instead of a fuse but my car still won't turn over. I've used copper wire before to get my car home but now it's not helping anymore. I checked the wire and plugs leading out from the pump. No corrosion or visible breaks/damage. I'm at my wit's end with this car. Any advice?

RenanMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
RenanMilk
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also, I tried inserting a fuse with the pump disconnected and the fuse still blows immediately on contact.
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
RenanMilk
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just did another test. I unplugged the fuel pump relay in the PDC and plugged in a fuse into #19 and the fuse didnn't blow.
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
RenanMilk
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped the A/C motor relay with the fuel pump relay since it had the same part number but #19 still blows.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you may have a power wire shorting to ground between the relay and the pump.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
CrazyJeepMan92
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You Have a short to ground. Power takes the path of least resistance, and the fuse being your protection device blows when amperage is exceeded. trace the fuel pump wires looking for open copper wires. If you have a voltmeter near you (For S&G's) hook up the ammeter in series with the circuit, meaning pull the blown fuse out and put the ammeter wire pos and neg in two seperate holes. If the ammeter test wires and too thick to fit in the fuse holes use a paperclip and test off that. Doing this will give you the amperage which if exceeds the fuse rating (20A) mean short to ground. DO NOT PUT A HIGHER AMP FUSE IN! Like i said its a protection device which is protecting the fuel pump.

Trace all the wires making sure none are sliced or open. Use the volt meter again on OHMS, Disconnect battery (OHMMeter puts test with .5v so the battery will throw it off. Hook the Ohm meter up in series again and test for resistance. Remember when Resistance goes up amperage goes down and vise versa.

PM Me with any questions.
*KUBINAK ENTERPRISES*
CrazyJeepMan92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.