fuel pump failure symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > fuel pump failure symptoms?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
motu1983
1989 XJ Cherokee 

fuel pump failure symptoms?

hey what are common symptoms of fuel pump failure/getting ready to fail? i've got a rattle/ticking noise that comes from the rear of the XJ whenever i startup or when it idles. If i'm at a stop, once i start rolling i get a rattle that picks up the pace as i accelerate until i hit about 35mph. i'm just wondering if it might be the fuel pump since nothing visible is making any sort of contact under the xj near the rear. I thought it might be the exhaust at first since my eclipse did that for a while and the exhaust was the culprit but the exhaust is free and clear of anything metallic that could rattle. am i right in diagnosing the fuel pump or am i way off? also, it primes when the key is in on position and there are no fuel problems other than my guage dropping about a quarter of the way down when i hit the gas (if i'm at full tank, it will read full, but as soon as i hit the gas pedal the needle drops down to 3/4), then slowly climbs back up to wherever it just was as its cruising.

4.0, Stock everything, girlfriend's ride, Girly Purple/silver paint (Girlfriend's)
motu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'd think it might be the heat shield on your stock muffler or cat that's loose. Also check the exhaust mount at the cross member.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
motu1983
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ok, will do. thanks balloo.
4.0, Stock everything, girlfriend's ride, Girly Purple/silver paint (Girlfriend's)
motu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
mrboom
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu1983
(if i'm at full tank, it will read full, but as soon as i hit the gas pedal the needle drops down to 3/4), then slowly climbs back up to wherever it just was as its cruising.
Dont you just LOVE Jeeps?

Mine does the same thing and always has..

X2 on the exhaust. Cat might be shot and the brick is rattling around inside.

95 Sport. 4.5 homebrew lift.. *Bastard Pack and loving it*

Everytime a Commander Roles off the Lot, a Cherokee Dies.
mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.