Fuel Pump ballast resistor wiring schematics? 88 cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel Pump ballast resistor wiring schematics? 88 cherokee

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
KariGrrrl

Fuel Pump ballast resistor wiring schematics? 88 cherokee

Im looking for the wiring diagrams for the fuel pump system including the ballast resistor on an 88 cherokee 4.0L 6 cyl

I found this page below with a ton of diagrams but they dont show the ballast resistor:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80153e8f.jsp

my truck is failing to bypass the resistor on start so i need to see what actually "bypasses" that thing to repair it

88 Cherokee Limited 6cyl 4L stock. Fixed by a girl: in tank fuel pump, TPS, CPS, rear hatch, wiper motor, interior lights, front-rear differential oil, A/C, ballast resistor automatic bypass home-made circuit, power steering, rear wiper motor, 4wd slip, 2 power windows

not fixed: major belt squeak from crank pulley alignment, rear diff gets hot, cruise control, rear bumper rot
KariGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 12:01 AM   #2
Kuasimodem

Just go here and download the factory service manual for 1988 Cherokee. It's in PDF format and helped me learn a lot about mine

The last file in the folder is "wiring diagrams.pdf", that's the one you're looking for. The first two diagrams are the engine electrical for the 4.0L.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Kuasimodem; 07-29-2005 at 12:17 AM..
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
KariGrrrl

oops. thanks. i had downloaded those last week and cant explain why i didnt see that file
88 Cherokee Limited 6cyl 4L stock. Fixed by a girl: in tank fuel pump, TPS, CPS, rear hatch, wiper motor, interior lights, front-rear differential oil, A/C, ballast resistor automatic bypass home-made circuit, power steering, rear wiper motor, 4wd slip, 2 power windows

not fixed: major belt squeak from crank pulley alignment, rear diff gets hot, cruise control, rear bumper rot
Unread 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
KariGrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
Just go here and download the factory service manual for 1988 Cherokee. It's in PDF format and helped me learn a lot about mine

The last file in the folder is "wiring diagrams.pdf", that's the one you're looking for. The first two diagrams are the engine electrical for the 4.0L.
Damned if I can see a ballast resistor in any of those diagrams. maybe they refer to it as something else?

Unread 07-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Kuasimodem

They call it a resistor pack in the diagram, and it's near the bottom center of the second diagram, I think.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
KariGrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
They call it a resistor pack in the diagram, and it's near the bottom center of the second diagram, I think.
thanks, I did see that but wasnt sure. no i'll go electrocute myself im sure

Unread 07-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
KariGrrrl

Update: sadly I think the diagrams are incorrect. They do not show the correct circuit for the fuel pump power. the power for the fuel pump (not the fuel pump relay) goes through the ballast resistor. The resistor is not shown in the wiring diagram and neither is the electronics that bypass the resistor.

according to the diagrams the fuel pump is powered directly by the fuel pump relay. fuel pump relay goes on.....fuel pump also goes on. thats not correct. they also show the "resistor pack" connected to the power of the fuel pump relay. even if it was referring to the "ballast resistor" its still not the correct wiring.

i dont know which truck is which but my truck says "Cherokee" on it. Sometimes they call it "cherokee Limited". is that a different truck?

This is how is actually is wired:

gnd +12v
| |
| >
| > ballast resistor
| >
| |
| |
| |
FUEL PUMP

either they have some other relay that shorts out the resistor or they have 12v connected to the bottom of that resistor so that 12v can go to the motor just before the truck starts. or maybe its something in the ignition switch that does it?

Unread 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
JoBo

The voltage from the fuel pump relay goes through the resister for running. When starting it gets the full 12 volts directly from the start relay that's the metal box right behind the battery on your XJ. There's a lot of wires attatched to it. there has been a few instances of them going bad lately as they're over fifteen years old

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I just went to that link for FSM and at the bottom of the page is a link to more PDF downloads. Try this link and go down to the Jeep menu and look for Renix fuel injection manual. It covers everything about the fuel and spark system. 100 pages worth.

Sundress
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
KariGrrrl

JoBo - thanks so much. I was going to eventually post if itd be a good idea to just wire from the starter to the pump so i was correct. im going to run a wire direct after this post and not worry about whats broke or frayed.

coppertop - thanks. great stuff on there. i'll be reading through that tonight. Sundress, ha ha ha very frickin funny. my washing machine still smells like the starter fluid i used to clean the dress. grease from the truck is one thing but who the hell knows whats on the side of the road.

kari (car - e or car-ree. not carrie or carry)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.