Fuel pump?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel pump??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Nate_nev
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel pump??

I've had for the past month had problems with starting after driving. the problem was intermittent but now the xj wont start... yay... Just got back to town from work, drove to the mall (4 Miles) and after an hour sitting it would roll over but not start.

I tried:

plane old start ie, turn key wait 3 seconds and turn all the way to start.

turn over with gas pedal to the floor.

then after I got fed up, I sprayed some quick start to the intake and it started but immediately stalled out.

Tonight I am going to check to see if I have any fuel pressure, but I did not hear the pump turn on. I also swapped relays and checked the fuses with no happy start afterwards.

I am wondering if this pump has a common problem with power wires breaking after time and easy to fix/replace wire? or should I just go straight to replacing the fuel pump?

thanks for the input!!

Nate_nev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You should be able to hear the pump kick on. If not you know its something pump related, especially since starter fluid got it to run for a second.

Its always possible that wires have gone bad, but Id say the pump is far more likely to fail. You can always drop the tank and check the wiring to make sure the pump is getting juice but Id guess and say its the pump, not the wiring.
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

By design, when the key is turned to the ON position, the fuel pump should run for approximately 2 seconds.

If you do NOT hear the pump energize and run when you do that, you either have a problem with control electronics or the fuel pump itself.

For starters, I would go under the hood to the power distribution center (black box on the passenger side) and swap the fuel pump relay with another relay just to be sure the problem isn't relay related. These relays are all of the same part number, so swapping them is not an issue.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
OnTheFence

No start checklist..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n...klist-1449387/
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Hope you didn't fill 'er up today
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel , fuel pump , fuel pump assembly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.