Fuel Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel Issue

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
perrysjeep 98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel Issue

I have a 98 cherokee classic lately its been bogging down when I push it to the floor. I checked the fuel pressure today and found that whith the key turned on but not cranking the motor I get 33 psi, when i start it and let it idle the fuel pressure drops to 31psi, and when i go to wide open throttle it drops down to 28 psi. I don't think these are good readings.

My question's are does my jeep have a fuel pressure regulator, and does it sound like the fuel pump needs changed? Thanks for any advice

perrysjeep 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
perrysjeep 98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone tell me if i'm on the right track
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
thenewguy88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

my jeep is running kind of funky too. It takes a long time to build fuel pressure during start up and idles sort of rough once it is running. I think i'm gonna start with a new fuel filter. How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?
thenewguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
perrysjeep 98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the pump and filter 2 years ago.
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by periscope 98 View Post
.... question's are does my jeep have a fuel pressure regulator, and does it sound like the fuel pump needs changed? Thanks for any advice
The fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump assembly. Purchase a good quality replacement fuel pump assembly. As you are finding out, the cheaper fuel pumps don't last very long.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
perrysjeep 98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced the fuel pump assy and the jeep runs like it should.
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I think normal is 45 +/- 5. In the 30's and I would be changing mine too.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bogging , fuel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.