Fuel injector issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel injector issues

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Alexm1087
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel injector issues

Okay i kno this may be a repeat question but all the different responses doesnt seem too clear for me.....so here's the background....my brother bought a 96 maybe? f150 with the 5.0l motor in in with orange top injectors with the 4 hole nozzles. basically he decided to go carb and i asked if i could steal the injectors for my 95 XJ. so went and installed the injectors with all new orings and whatnot and it ran fine then i got the CEL light for code 27 which deals with injectors. so i researched and found a injector upgrade chart and it stated i needed a different fuel injector regulator which is found in several chrysler vehicles which i bought a brand new one with the matching number part number needed. then i cleared the ecu again....ran fine for a week then the CEL came back on for code 27 yet again. so then i noticed the vacuum line boots that connect to the regulator looked cracked so i replaced the boots and cleared ecu again and the code instantly came back....and as u drive it stumbles throughout the entire time. then eventually it runs fine with the light on then repeat issue.....also ive ran seafoam in a few tanks of gas....also other injector cleaners i few times. and no change. (the truck ran fine before he pulled the motor and intake to swap to his 4 barrel carb.) So if there is anyone with any ideas please help.

Alexm1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Loose injector wires? How do they look, any rubbing on a stud could wear into the wire and cause issues.
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Alexm1087
1995 XJ Cherokee 

All the wires look fine. Honestly there wasn't anything wrong witg my stock injectors I just wanted to upgrade them since they are just sitting there free. Only thing I think is the ecu doesn't want anything to do with the bigger injectors....whuxh would surprise me ive always had issues witg chrysler vehicles and fuel injection.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Whats your fuel pressure?
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I think i figured it out.. Did you reset the computer after. The computer has adaptive memory. It "learns" as you drive. It has learned how to cope with the OLD injectors, you threw new ones in and it does not know that. Search on how to clear the adaptive memory, i had issues when i did the neon injector swap until i reset the adaptive memory.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Alexm1087
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna have to buy a gauge to check the pressure. But I'm not exactly sure on the reset deal I read u take off postive terminal then somehow ur supposed to ground that wire to the negative for for 30 seconds ( which my wires won't touch together so I touched the positive to the metal battery tie down the would in theory ground to the body) then u rehook the battery up then turn to on and don't start then turn headlights on then off then start.....if that's correct. But that new regulator I believe without looking up to be exact is 50lbs. Its based from a 95 chrysler concorde 3.5l
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here is how you do it.
Take BOTH battery teminals off.
Wait 20 seconds
Touch them together for 30seconds, reconnect battery
It will be reset to factory setting and will begin to "relearn" and the adaptive memory will soon take over. It takes up to 50 start up cycles to run the best.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexm1087 View Post
I'm gonna have to buy a gauge to check the pressure. But I'm not exactly sure on the reset deal I read u take off postive terminal then somehow ur supposed to ground that wire to the negative for for 30 seconds ( which my wires won't touch together so I touched the positive to the metal battery tie down the would in theory ground to the body) then u rehook the battery up then turn to on and don't start then turn headlights on then off then start.....if that's correct. But that new regulator I believe without looking up to be exact is 50lbs. Its based from a 95 chrysler concorde 3.5l
The orange injectors are rated at 19 lb/hr according to my information. There should be no problem there. I would make sure you have enough fuel pressure.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Alexm1087
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm running it hopeing it learns these Injectors until I get a chance to get a fuel pressure gauge but still cel running terrible. I'm almost to the point of putting the stock injectors back in
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey alexm ... don't give up ... i just swapped mine out for the quad-port injectors and had a hell of a time for a few days ... they will adapt if you do the reset ... my biggest issue was when i disconnected the battery cables, the stock negative terminal connector had a hairline crack which got worse as it got hotter, it kept stalling out, eventually leaving me stranded! ... i replaced both terminal connectors, did another reset and once the computer adapted to the new injectors i've had no problems ... just make sure you do the reset ... btw, did you use new o-rings and lubricate them and make sure there are no fuel leaks around the injectors ... good luck!
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running the orange ford 5.0 injectors in my newly rebuilt 4.0 and they're doing fine so far...
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It will run bad until it learns, as stated before you should have put new filters and o-rings on them and lubed them before you put them in.
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I upgraded mine and had no issues at all afterwords. No running rough etc.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Alexm1087
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I changed all the orings and whatnot...no leaks or anything. But for know I reset my ecu again and cleaned up my stock injectors for the time being due to I need it running right for the time being till I got the time to fool around with them better. Right now I'm lending my jeep to my mom till their vehicle is fixed and all the rough idleing is freaking her out ;-) and when I get back on the learning curve again I'm debateing on a k&n drop in filter or makcing my own cai with my spare S2000 k&n cone filter

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.