fuel injector issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > fuel injector issue

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 02-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
rustybottoms

fuel injector issue

Hey fellas, i have an MJ and a leaky fuel injector. I also think that my injectors maybe clogged. Anyone have any of these issues? would the injector leak due to worn o-rings? can my injectors be cleaned? should they be replaced? any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rustybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

The injectors can leak if the O ring is bad. It will usually show itself with a wet injector base. Just take the injector out and put on a new O ring. They can be cleaned, but it's a good idea to have them pressure cleaned at a shop. Try running some SeaFOam in the next tank of gas and see if that doesn't clean them up a bit. Oriely's sells it.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
anony91xj

Yes, worn O-rings can lead to a leaky injector, as can the injector itself being broken. Pull the suspect injector out, and carefully inspect it for cracks. Check the pinholes on the engine side of the injector, make sure they're intact and clean. If all is good, replace the O-ring and re-install.

Also, fuel injectors being clogged is more or less a myth...why do you think yours are clogged? The pressure coming through there inherently prevents dirt from clogging the injector. More likely that there is a lot of carbon buildup on the inside of the intake runners and cylinder head intake ports...there are cleaners out there that can clean that up but I think they're only available to shops and certified mechanics (this is what shops generally do when they sell you a "fuel injection cleaning"). The injector(s) could also be broken and not atomizing the fuel properly.
Unread 02-14-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
H2_RECOVERY
1982 CJ8 

The injectors are sealed units. the oring on the bootmis to insure that there is n ot a vacum leak around the injector. if the oring is leaking on top it will leak fuel but if you have gas half way down on the out side of the injector . replace it. if one leaks the others are soon to follow. replace them all if you have them out. Peace of mind!!!
H2_RECOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
tripletsjeepin

My injectors leaked between where the plastic and metal meet up. I had to replace mine. I used http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ They treated me right and the price was great.
GPS, CB, OBA, XM radio
Third row seating for the kids
tripletsjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.