Fuel immobilizer problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel immobilizer problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Rusey
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel immobilizer problem

Hi,My daughter just bought a 97 XJ jeep Cherokee sports 4 litre petrol from a friend with 2 computers.The original one in it works all the gauges but the car will start and stop after a few seconds (Obviously the immobilizer-anti theft system problem) The second computer starts and runs the car fine but none of the gauges work. I have done a lot of research on the problem and have found that I have to reset the security system as the light on the dash is on all the time (Not Flashing) and then reset the fuel immobilizer. Though all the instructions are for a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it does not say its for a XJ sports.Will this procedure still for for my daughters model or is there something else that I can do as I'm sick of her running out of fuel all the time as she has no working gauges

Rusey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The sensor module for the security key in mine went bad. I had to pull it out and then replace the engine computer. I'm amazed it's coming on with the no-gauges computer, typically the computer would detect the security module and sync to it automatically. The new computer cost me 300ish bucks. I've seen lots of comments on forums along the lines of *grab one from a jy for $25* but I've literally NEVER seen a 97+ computer in a JY. I checked 8 the day my SKIM went bad, and had to order a computer because I needed my DD back.
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Rusey
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel Immobilizer problem

Hi bluejunior. Well the latest that i just found out is that all the security was working fine when my daughters friend (Previous Owner) drove the vehicle home from work,then the next morning she was locked out.The car would not unlock to let her in,so she called a lock smith which tried to break in through the drivers door barrell as you can see the dints around the barrell, but apparently could not get in. With that information i'm stumped as she obviously got in some how as my daughter is driving it now. A different forum told me that the 97 xj did not come out with factory fitted security and immobilizer. So i don't know that when it was imported here (Australia) if they had them in,or fitted here.No one can tell me. I'm on to Jeep Australia now but i'd hate to be holding my breath waiting for the reply
Rusey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusey View Post
Hi bluejunior. Well the latest that i just found out is that all the security was working fine when my daughters friend (Previous Owner) drove the vehicle home from work,then the next morning she was locked out.The car would not unlock to let her in,so she called a lock smith which tried to break in through the drivers door barrell as you can see the dints around the barrell, but apparently could not get in. With that information i'm stumped as she obviously got in some how as my daughter is driving it now. A different forum told me that the 97 xj did not come out with factory fitted security and immobilizer. So i don't know that when it was imported here (Australia) if they had them in,or fitted here.No one can tell me. I'm on to Jeep Australia now but i'd hate to be holding my breath waiting for the reply
There's two quick and easy ways to tell if you have an rfid immobilizer. One: factory keys equipped with the security device are fat and grey, factory keys not equipped are black with a concave rubber grip.

Two: remove the two phillips screws on the bottom of the plastic around the steering column. The security sensor is a round black rin around the ignition cylinder, with a black plastic housing plugged into a pigtail forward of the ignition cylinder. In my case, I removed that sensor and got a new, reprogrammed PCM from autozone. Once a PCM detects the security sensor and pairs with it, it will engage he security fuel shutdown any time it doesnt get a positive read from your sensor, including if the sensor isnt there (that happens with junkyard PCMs sometimes). That's why I had to replace mine whem I ripped out the sensor.

It sounds like you need to check for that sensor, pull it out if it's present and then get a new PCM. You'll jeed your VINand some numbers of the original PCM. Tske it with you.

That's only if you're sure its not any problem in tye fuel system causing this though.
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think its safe to say you have a factory security system as changing the computer lockes you out. I think you need a reflash of the computer that works with the gauges. Sounds like someone changed the key reader in the column and just swapped the computer so they matched . I believe in 2000 the computers changed from the previous version. Could be something to do with that , that's why tje gauges dont work.
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway0018746 View Post
I think its safe to say you have a factory security system as changing the computer lockes you out. I think you need a reflash of the computer that works with the gauges. Sounds like someone changed the key reader in the column and just swapped the computer so they matched . I believe in 2000 the computers changed from the previous version. Could be something to do with that , that's why tje gauges dont work.
00-01's definitely do need a different PCM than 97-99
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

00-01's definitely do need a different PCM than 97-99
Dont know if it would still run or not. Are there Chrysler dealers in Australia? Sorry if that's a dumb question .
Edit : I added a security key to my 2000 w/o changing the computer and it locked out my factory pcm ( runs for a few seconds then shuts down) changed the pcm to match the key and it works fine. Could be a similar case here.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusey View Post
Yes it has a factory immobiliser ... stupid nanny state, UN/euro/aussie build requirement.

'97 with a "normal" old type key ... immobiliser is deactivated by pushing the unlock button on the keyfob.

'97 with a bulbous grey key ... immobiliser is deactivated when the key is in the ignition.

Sometimes the keyfob version plays up ... I dont think chrysler bothered to check aussie radio frequency regulations ... so sometimes a phone tower or something may give you grief. Happens with some Mitsi and Holdens too.

... generally tho - its flat batteries in the keyfob, or the wrong batteries, or the keyfob circuit board could do with a strip and clean/spray of electronics cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
There's two quick and easy ways to tell if you have an rfid immobilizer. One: factory keys equipped with the security device are fat and grey, factory keys not equipped are black with a concave rubber grip.

Two: remove the two phillips screws on the bottom of the plastic around the steering column. The security sensor is a round black rin around the ignition cylinder, with a black plastic housing plugged into a pigtail forward of the ignition cylinder. In my case, I removed that sensor and got a new, reprogrammed PCM from autozone. Once a PCM detects the security sensor and pairs with it, it will engage he security fuel shutdown any time it doesnt get a positive read from your sensor, including if the sensor isnt there (that happens with junkyard PCMs sometimes). That's why I had to replace mine whem I ripped out the sensor.

It sounds like you need to check for that sensor, pull it out if it's present and then get a new PCM. You'll jeed your VINand some numbers of the original PCM. Tske it with you.

That's only if you're sure its not any problem in tye fuel system causing this though.

'97 is a funny year.

Export model XJs for that period had an immobiliser that deactivated, by pushing the unlock button on the keyfob.

Everytime you want to start the damn thing ... you have to push the unlock button ..

... ask me how I know .. ..
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.