Fuel gauge problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel gauge problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Goinbigger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel gauge problem

I just picked up this 97 Sport a little over a week ago with 103k miles on it. The Gas gauge will read normal, but then will just jump to empty for a little bit, and then go back to normal. Back and forth the whole time you are driving. Seems to do it more when you hit a bump. It seems to be a bad ground or something. But it can't be the ground for the sending unit or it would shut the fuel pump off. I jiggled everything I could get my hands on behind the dash but can't see anything loose.

Any ideas where it might be?

Goinbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A loose wire at the gas tank or a bad fuel level sender.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Goinbigger
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I looked for a loose wire under there, but there are 4 wires coming out of the tank, all go to a plug and then on into the cab. I'm guessing it may be the tank recall, but I have no way to know if mine is one of them that falls under the recall. Guess I will have to call a dealer and find out. I was hoping that maybe there was an actual ground near the tank that had come loose.
Goinbigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.