Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #76
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Doing a quick search on Amazon, I found this - http://www.amazon.com/1997-2001-JEEP-CHEROKEE-FUEL-PUMP/dp/B004B25SMS/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4
Any thoughts on this? Seems really cheap...but for that price, and to replace the entire unit, seems like it may be a good idea as long as they're quality parts?

Unread 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #77
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's so cheap for a full assembly that even if the pump failed prematurely, and you then replaced just the pump within the unit, you would probably still be in for less than the cost a full assembly from elsewhere. If I was in need of a pump I think I'd take a punt on it. I can drop the tank and replace the pump in not much more than an hour so it wouldn't be that big a deal for me if I had to do it again sooner than expected. At that price even with shipping to the UK and tax it would cost me $50 less than buying a full assembly over here.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #78
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jonny...that's kinda what I was thinking too. Here's to hoping. I'll be checking my fuel pressure tonight and replacing the TPS as well (I have a weird bogging-down issue going on). Need to get it fixed, they're calling for 6-10" of snow tomorrow and I wanna play!!!
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #79
ntk4
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This write up is thorough and very helpful. I'm at the point where I need to get tne hangers loosened, and the nuts simply are rusted on. I have applied WD and am waiting it to do its thing. I'll try the PB Blaster if that doesnt work, and try to wire wheel the threads, but here's my question. Is it safe to consider heating those nuts with a torch if that doesnt work?

Thanks for this thread, it is well thought out and documented.
ntk4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #80
soma56

Followed these instructions to a 'T' and now it's starts on the first try. But now I have a BIG PROBLEM

The Jeep is running terrible, misfiring and losing pressure. I've started another thread on the topic:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n.../#post13768005

If anyone could be so inclined to let me know what they think it could be I would be grateful.
soma56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #81
Zyphin
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The problem my 2000 Cherokee is currently experiencing is not exactly the same but i think the solution may be the same. For the past couple months the jeep has taken a lot of turn overs before catching. Now it just wont start. When i turn the key to the on position, i hear nothing but a tiny and super soft click coming from the fuel tank. Also, when i push in the pin in the valve on the fuel rack nothing comes out. This is for sure a bad fuel pump, right?
Zyphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #82
dezmoduo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for This Ole Thread

I dropped the tank on my 98 Sport today. The pump was acting up and I parked it and took the bus for the last 4 days.
The J bolts came undone with out too much cussing or blood. One was bent a little but I tapped it back into shape.
I had to borrow a full sized floor jack since my "Mini" floor jack wouldn't reach the tank. While I was waiting for the jack I strapped up the tank with 2 ratcheting tie downs. Once the jack was in place, I released the tie downs and lowered the tank. Hind sight says I could have used the tie downs to lower the tank instead of the jack. Preferably the press and slip type I think.
The filler hoses came off the body fitting very easily.

I don't know whether I'm replacing the pump and screens or the whole assembly. I'll have to see who has what in stock around here. I don't think I mind the cheaper replacement on my 200K Jeep. Now that the tanks has been down, I could do it again, quicker since I anti seized the J threads.

I was out working by 11 and closed the garage at 2:15. I had to siphon out 10 gallons of fuel once the tank was down, through a SMALL hose, so that took time standing around watching.

So over all I'm old, slow AND cheap because I couldn't bring myself to fork over the 4-6 bills this probably would have cost.

Once again this forum has helped me repair my jeep and my sons 96 5 speed.
He needs a clutch..... UGH

Dez

dezmoduo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #83
bilulu
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very useful write up. Thanks!
My problem was that I had to prime 2, 3 or even 4 times before my engine would start so after researching I found various posts on the matter. This post, however, is perfect in order to take all the necessary steps in order to drop the tank and disassemble / assemble the module.
I 've got 115.000 km (that's around 75.000 miles).

I decided to take the risk and save me some money so I didn't replace the fuel pump but just the fuel pressure regulator (which was the actual problem in my case) but thought I should replace the 2 strainers as I would have to drop the tank and they are cheap anyway.

It took me 3 hours in total from which I spent a good half hour trying to get the freaking plastic nut back on
Had I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator it would have been much faster as I wouldn't have to take the module off the tank.

My jeep is as stock as it gets but I didn't have to lift it in order to drop the tank. I laid on my back and worked on the bolts etc pretty easily. I also didn't bother emptying the tank once I had dropped it as it looked very clean anyway and I got lazy finding a canister etc. Putting it back on was not that hard as there was about 1/5 of petrol in it.
The j bolts were quite cooperative as well.

Now, I don't wear gloves, goggles etc when I do this kind of work but if I have to do it again I will definitely wear goggles. My jeep is pretty clean under there now as all the dirt is in my eyes

I got the strainers (airtex) and fuel pressure regulator (SMP PR318) from ebay. I live in Greece so it took a while for the parts to arrive and it was a bit difficult finding sellers that would post to Greece but it all worked out fine.

Next project, replacing the valve cover gasket (I hate oil leaks). It hasn't arrived yet...
bilulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #84
streetmonster
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How to I get the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
Yes good tip on cleaning the tank... I'm not sure what Napa sells, but the parts I bought from Mike were OEM parts.. I put 2,000 miles with in a week after I did the job and it ran flawless... The thing is I called every parts store including Napa and they all said the filter was N/A.....

Not sure why the dealer is showing the regulator as a filter too....

The dealer said the only thing they sold was the regulator itself, or the whole module pump, filters, regulator, and sending unit as one part for $350.00..

Anyway hope this helps.....
How do i get the pictures posted with this?
streetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #85
bayhunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Runns rough and stalls.99 xj

My 99 xj STARTED TO RUN BAD ON A ROAD TRIP LAST MONTH. SPITTING AND SPUTTERING WHEN I HIT THE GAS GOING UPHILLS ON HIGHWAY. wHEN I EASED OFF GAS IT SETTLED DOWN AND RAN OK.MADE IT HOME AND JUST DIED. LOCAL GARAGE REPLACED COIL AND IT RAN OK FOR A DAY OR TWO THEN STARTED TO GET A MISS WHEN I MASH IT. THE MISS WENT AWAY FOR BOUT 3 WEEKS. NOW YESTERDAY IT STARTED SPUTTERING AND STALLING. WOULD START HARD RUN THEN DIE. ANY IDEAS???
bayhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #86
UdownwitK
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First you can order the parts from Mike. ( mikezaher@yahoo.com ) I found this guy on Ebay and saved myself $260.00 by ordering the fuel pump with the filters. (these are OEM parts too!) This is the only way I have been able to locate the filters. (plus it doesn't hurt to replace the pump while your at it)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anyone have a link to this guys eBay page. I emailed him early yesterday and still haven't gotten a response. What brand is the oem pump anyway? Thank you
UdownwitK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #87
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know if that guys email still works.
Its HIGHLY recommended if you replace the pump either use a BOSCH or a JEEP pump...stay away from Airtech...unless you live the life of FAIL, and like taking the tank down every couple months and replacing pumps.
I have to do mine, but the nice quality of BOSCH comes at a price....and it aint cheap.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #88
UdownwitK
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatts5250 View Post
I dont know if that guys email still works.
Its HIGHLY recommended if you replace the pump either use a BOSCH or a JEEP pump...stay away from Airtech...unless you live the life of FAIL, and like taking the tank down every couple months and replacing pumps.
I have to do mine, but the nice quality of BOSCH comes at a price....and it aint cheap.
Is it the Bosch 69316??? I read somewhere that the strainer don't fit or some crazy stuff. I'll look into it again.
UdownwitK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #89
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdownwitK View Post
Is it the Bosch 69316??? I read somewhere that the strainer don't fit or some crazy stuff. I'll look into it again.
Any updates on this? I'm going to be replacing the fuel pump soon.
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #90
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

ok guys, how much differant it a 1992 cherokee from a 98?

I am having issues with my 92. and I am thinking it is the fuel pump. wanting to change it or add a external. What would you recommmend doing?

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.