Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #31
r.xj

Fuel pump

Great post, looks like I will be tackling this project soon. To remove the regulator hose you said just push in on the clips-are these like the transmission connectors where you need an adapter to push on the clips to slide the two off (I hate those connectors) or are they somewhat different and easier. Thanks again for a great writeup.

r.xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #32
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.xj
Great post, looks like I will be tackling this project soon. To remove the regulator hose you said just push in on the clips-are these like the transmission connectors where you need an adapter to push on the clips to slide the two off (I hate those connectors) or are they somewhat different and easier. Thanks again for a great writeup.

They were pretty easy, I didn't need any special tools. Although a spanner wrench would have been most helpful..
Unread 10-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #33
crashxj

i have an '01 that recently decided it would no longer start unless i have the pedal down, and as soon as i let up it dies... think it's the same thing?
crashxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #34
crepr12

Thanks, I changed mine this weekend.
crepr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #35
iflyabeech
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a link to Mike's eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/FUEL-PUMP-KIN...QQsofpZ0QQtZkm
iflyabeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #36
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 Wrangler: What parts should I replace for a damaged float arm?

Hey folks,

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with 106,000 miles on it and have not changed out the fuel pump or associated filters yet. Up until I read this post, I didn't know there was a fuel filter for the 97' because I couldn't find a part described as a "filter" anywhere. I'm currently not experiencing any problems with engine cut-out or any of the other symptoms mentioned within this post but I am receiving a faulty fuel level signal. The fault (I'm guessing) is caused by a dent inflicted on the gas tank during an off-roading adventure. Since then I had a shop pop out the dent but my fuel level indicator is still incorrect. My guess is the float arm was damaged and this is why the I'm getting an incorrect reading.

Here are my questions:
1. Is the float arm easy to fix/bend back into position?
2. OR, Should I just replace the whole fuel sending unit due to it's age?
3. In the event I can bend the arm back into place, are the filters available separately by Mike at Fuel Pump King on eBay?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Brian in San Francisco
NORCALROOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #37
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCALROOTS View Post
Here are my questions:
1. Is the float arm easy to fix/bend back into position?
2. OR, Should I just replace the whole fuel sending unit due to it's age?
3. In the event I can bend the arm back into place, are the filters available separately by Mike at Fuel Pump King on eBay?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Brian in San Francisco
The fuel level senders are known to go bad. Contact jeep and see if yours is covered by the sender unit recall - mine was.

As for the filter unit have a look at this thread in the TJ section, they are available seperately $49 from mike, or $29 from another seller. Links are in the thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fuel-pump-problem-check-valve-518111/

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #38
Goldburn

I just want to say thanks for this post!

I just finished replacing the whole unit. It took me about 4 hours by myself with 1/4 tank full of gas, but that's only because the hanger bolts were less than cooperative. I wound up rounding off the nuts, and then cutting one bolt off with a sawzall. Being a pack-rat, I just so happened to have a spare bolt that fit.

The OP says to use a 9/16 wrench, but mine were 14mm.
Goldburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #39
iflyabeech
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldburn View Post
I just want to say thanks for this post!

I just finished replacing the whole unit. It took me about 4 hours by myself with 1/4 tank full of gas, but that's only because the hanger bolts were less than cooperative. I wound up rounding off the nuts, and then cutting one bolt off with a sawzall. Being a pack-rat, I just so happened to have a spare bolt that fit.

The OP says to use a 9/16 wrench, but mine were 14mm.
I rounded my nuts too. Ended up cutting the hanger bolt in half. After trying to buy a new bolt....Ran nuts off using B.F.P. and a vise. Bought new nuts. Welded old bolt back together. Works like a charm...

thats a lot of nuts
iflyabeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #40
SamO
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the write-up XJ99! It worked perfectly, fixed my problem, and saved me a bunch of money. ($500 from the dealer!) I would buy you a beer if I was old enough

Just one thing to add is that on XJ's with a factory skid plate, it adds a significant amount of time and its bolts are 18mm, a size not found in many socket or wrench sets. Doesn't apply to a lot of people but it stuck a run to the parts store in the middle of my process.
1989 XJ, 4.0, 5 speed, 4x4, 3inch lift, 31s, Rear leaves from a '99, No cat, glasspack with a turndown right under the passenger seat. ARB bull bar with Warn winch. FOR SALE!

NEW! 1998 XJ 4.0 5spd, 4x4, Up Country package, bone stock w/ a badass stereo.
SamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #41
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up...
I am stoked to see such clear photos and step by step for something like this. My XJ has 162,000 KM's on it now (around 100,000 miles) so I am sure that this will be a project in my near future.

Thanks for posting!
Greg

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #42
fatwreck

I just wanted to let you know that I used this writeup today and it worked out very well. You did a great job with it. Thank you!
fatwreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #43
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so if i were to buy the entire module, would it come assembled? jus ttake the old one out and put the new one back in? or would i have to assemble it myself
dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #44
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

thanks great info nice job
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #45
99WhiteXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know what spanner wrench he is talking about?
99WhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.