Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #16
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunchone
i have a 1990 cherokee and i do not have any sound deadening material or a carpet in the rear from the seat back. now i have been hearing this sound and i examined closely and found that the sound is residing in the tank .... the fuel pump is sounding off constantly.... now i ask the question if i am supposed to hear it all the time....i have had an 85 so i am not acustomed to the tank in the pump... if this is normal please let me know so i can stop thinking about it...

kcrunch
Your 90 has a external filter and it may be worth replacing as the pump may be working too hard to get the gas through. Also buy a foot of each size fuel line and clamps when you get the filter because once disturbed, the old hose will leak. Ask how I know. As I recall the fittings on the filter are different sizes, if not get 2 feet of the correct size. The pump does run all the time but normally you shouldn't hear it running with the engine on. There's a large white ceramic resistor on the left front fender that drops the voltake once it's running to less then 12 volts. When starting it getts the full twelve. Make sure you have this resister and has bypassed.

JoBo

JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #17
offroadman83
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you xj99!!!!! I have been wanting to fix this wonderful problem I have for the 2 years I have had it. I will now do so as soon as I have the cash. Thank you so much and If I ever meet you I owe you a beer and some steak=========Kyle
offroadman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83
Thank you xj99!!!!! I have been wanting to fix this wonderful problem I have for the 2 years I have had it. I will now do so as soon as I have the cash. Thank you so much and If I ever meet you I owe you a beer and some steak=========Kyle

LOL, right on!
Unread 04-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #19
fishinsinsation

i need to do this on my jeep....and had a question for you, my gas guage will stop working at times... but will work again if i turn the jeep off a few times... now i was thinking that my sending unit is going bad, and was wondering how much i could expect to pay for this part, and if i would be better off ordering the whole thing from the stealership for the 350 bucks?...

id much rather buy them off that guy on ebay... but probably need the sending unit also.. hmm
Unread 04-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #20
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinsinsation
i need to do this on my jeep....and had a question for you, my gas guage will stop working at times... but will work again if i turn the jeep off a few times... now i was thinking that my sending unit is going bad, and was wondering how much i could expect to pay for this part, and if i would be better off ordering the whole thing from the stealership for the 350 bucks?...

id much rather buy them off that guy on ebay... but probably need the sending unit also.. hmm

I would e-mail Mike on Ebay.. He had the whole modules as well.. Someone said he was headed out of town for a while, I'm not sure for how long..
Unread 10-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #21
DanoTheGuru

how do you get the fill and vent hoses off to drop the tank, do they just pull off the back of the fill port?
Unread 10-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #22
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTheGuru
how do you get the fill and vent hoses off to drop the tank, do they just pull off the back of the fill port?

Yes. Take the hose clamps off.. Remove the fill and vent hose off of the fill port. The hoses will slide through the frame when you drop the tank. I'd stuff a shop rag in each one to keep the dirt and stuff out of them..
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
CarlosH

i have the same problem with my xj i was checking the autozone page looking for the filters and what they have FUEL PUMP STRAINERS and it said it requires two when you replace the pump is the same as filters
CarlosH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #24
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosH
i have the same problem with my xj i was checking the autozone page looking for the filters and what they have FUEL PUMP STRAINERS and it said it requires two when you replace the pump is the same as filters

Strainers, filters, socks yes there are 2.
Unread 05-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #25
oldbastard

Well I did the pump and filter replacement yesterday. Thank you for the guide because I could not have done it without it.

After I got it all back together and put some fuel in the Jeep is pretty much started right up. I got to admit I was a little afraid of the boom factor when I turned the key. I don't know much about working on vehicles but is the whole idea of a fuel pump with 12V inside the gas tank really such a good idea? Are all vehicles like this? Is the electrical connector connected to the float 12V? Or is the 12V only on the inside of the housing? If gas ever gets inside the housing are you driving a gas bomb?
oldbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #26
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbastard
Well I did the pump and filter replacement yesterday. Thank you for the guide because I could not have done it without it.

After I got it all back together and put some fuel in the Jeep is pretty much started right up. I got to admit I was a little afraid of the boom factor when I turned the key. I don't know much about working on vehicles but is the whole idea of a fuel pump with 12V inside the gas tank really such a good idea? Are all vehicles like this? Is the electrical connector connected to the float 12V? Or is the 12V only on the inside of the housing? If gas ever gets inside the housing are you driving a gas bomb?
Electrical connections inside a gas tank are not a hazard. Here's why:

There is no potential for explosion because the amount of oxygen available in a gas tank is almost nil when full (12V immersed in a lake of gasoline has no oxygen to ignite anything.)

When the tank is empty (or nearly so), the vapors in the tank are almost all gas vapors, with again, very little oxygen. No O2 means no combustion.

The only time gasoline is dangerous is when it has oxygen in the correct proportions to be combustible.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #27
88wrangyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
Remove the evap, and regulator hoses. The evap hose is just rubber that slides over a nipple and the regulator hose has a quick disconnect fitting. Just squeeze the plastic clips in and the fuel line will pop off. (do this holding a rag over it so gas doen't squirt everywhere) Then just unplug the the wire harness going to the tank. (you have to slide the red clip over to do this)
Very informative write up, I will be doing my fuel pump this weekend. The only thing I thought of when reading this was relieving fule pressure. If before you start you pull the fuel pump relay and let the jeep run until it dies there should be no pressure in the lines which mean its won't spray all over. Gas in the eye is not a fun feeling.
88wrangyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #28
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangyj
Very informative write up, I will be doing my fuel pump this weekend. The only thing I thought of when reading this was relieving fule pressure. If before you start you pull the fuel pump relay and let the jeep run until it dies there should be no pressure in the lines which mean its won't spray all over. Gas in the eye is not a fun feeling.

Good tip!

Also a spanner wrench would be good to have for taking the pump module off:

Unread 10-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #29
CartsXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
PART: III

Slide the little pipe off the old pump and put it on the new one. Then remove the cork piece off the old pump and carefully place it on the new one.
Ok now you can put the new pump with filter back in...

Remeber those washers! First put the orange rubber one in, then the metal one in. Then the new pump goes on top of them. (the filter on the pump should kinda snap into place) Make sure the new pump is seated correctly.

Put the spring back on the pump.

Make sure the pump is plugged in.
Slip the top half of the module back on making sure the metal tube fits into place.
The spring will push against the pump keeping it from coming back out.

Wa la, the hard part is done!

Now you wnat to change the pick up filter (AKA the sock)

Just gently pry up on the old filter and it will pop off..

The old filter: (nice!)

The new filter: (sweet!) hehehe

Pop the new filter / sock into place:

Congratulations, you just rebuilt a fuel pump module!
Are these strainers/filters something they changed in 99, I just got a new assembly for my 98 and I didn't see anything like that on the bottom. And they don't list it for on any dealer parts list. The dealer mentions for my 98 that the filter is part of the regulator.
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #30
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsXJ
Are these strainers/filters something they changed in 99, I just got a new assembly for my 98 and I didn't see anything like that on the bottom. And they don't list it for on any dealer parts list. The dealer mentions for my 98 that the filter is part of the regulator.

From what I understand, they should be the same from 97 on up.

May be your sock/filter fell off??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.