Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up!

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 02-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Fuel filter / pump replacement for 97's and up!

PART: I

First you can order the parts from Mike. ( mikezaher@yahoo.com ) I found this guy on Ebay and saved myself $260.00 by ordering the fuel pump with the filters. (these are OEM parts too!) This is the only way I have been able to locate the filters. (plus it doesn't hurt to replace the pump while your at it)

I figured out my filters were clogged. Everytime I got to 1/4 tank of gas (or less) the Jeep would stall out on hard left turns. ( ie: taking off from a traffic light )

I wasn't buying the "keep more then a 1/4 tank of gas, problem solved" answers I was getting....

First drive the Jeep until it gets down to a 1/4 tank or so (give or take) it just makes it easier to drop.. hehehe

With 3" of lift I didn't bother jaking the Jeep up and putting it on jack stands.

Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable to play it safe.

I took the gas cap off to relieve the pressure in the tank.

Remove the hose guard....

Next losen the hose clamps, and remove the vent and fill hoses.

Use a 9/16 wrench to losen the hanger nuts.. (I soaked the hangers in PB Blaster first) You don't have to take them off, just losen them....

Remove the evap, and regulator hoses. The evap hose is just rubber that slides over a nipple and the regulator hose has a quick disconnect fitting. Just squeeze the plastic clips in and the fuel line will pop off. (do this holding a rag over it so gas doen't squirt everywhere) Then just unplug the the wire harness going to the tank. (you have to slide the red clip over to do this)

I was able to push the passenger side hanger off to the side with out removing the heat shield.

Let the passenger side down first then pull the vent and fill hoses through the frame.

There you have the tank!

I poured the remaining fuel into a couple of 5 gallon gas cans. This makes it much easier to install the tank...

Last edited by XJ99; 09-18-2005 at 08:59 AM..
XJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did this just a few months ago. Was much easier than expected and with a plastic tank, makes it a one person job.
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
homerscj7

while you have the tank out, it's a good idea to clean the inside really good too.

Justa FYI, that rebuild kit on eBay looks like the same kit you can get from Napa for $100. I had one and it died after 3 weeks. ALSO, those socks are not the only filters on the pump. That silver round part on top of the pump assembly where the lines connect is a filter / regulator combination. That part alone is $115 from a dealer and comes up as "fuel filter" on their computers.
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

PART: II

Ok, now that the tank is off the fun begins.. hehehe...

Now that the tank is empty, you want to remove the locknut..
There is a special tool you can get to do this. (called a 'spanner wrench') I used a big flat head screwdriver and tapped the ring around until it came lose. It looks like a monster set of channel locks would work too.

Once you have removed the locknut the whole module will slide up and out of the tank.

Take your time when working with the module. You don't want to damage the sending unit.

Unplug the sending unit:

There are 3 plastic clips that hold the top half of the module together. Just push in on the plastic clips and slide the top half off.

Unplug the fuel pump inside the module..

Remove the spring and fuel pump. It just pops into place. (be careful not to harm the cork around the pump)

I cleaned it out with some throttle body cleaner.... There are 2 washers at the bottom. The orange rubber one goes on first, then the metal washer, then the pump. (in that order)

The new filter is already installed on the pump.

The old pump and filter:

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 11:45 AM..
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

PART: III

Slide the little pipe off the old pump and put it on the new one. Then remove the cork piece off the old pump and carefully place it on the new one.
Ok now you can put the new pump with filter back in...

Remeber those washers! First put the orange rubber one in, then the metal one in. Then the new pump goes on top of them. (the filter on the pump should kinda snap into place) Make sure the new pump is seated correctly.

Put the spring back on the pump.

Make sure the pump is plugged in.
Slip the top half of the module back on making sure the metal tube fits into place.
The spring will push against the pump keeping it from coming back out.

Wa la, the hard part is done!

Now you wnat to change the pick up filter (AKA the sock)

Just gently pry up on the old filter and it will pop off..

The old filter: (nice!)

The new filter: (sweet!) hehehe

Pop the new filter / sock into place:

Congratulations, you just rebuilt a fuel pump module!

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 11:51 AM..
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

PART: IIII

You should have already emptied the fuel out of the tank. Now's the chance the wipe the inside of the tank clean...

Once that's done your ready to put the module back into the tank.

I used a little bit of oil around the rubber seal to help slip the module back into
the tank.

Make sure the arrow is facing foward on the module once installed in the tank.

Tighten the locknut back down to 55 ft. lbs. (I guest-a-mated not having the right tool) I just made sure the regulator couldn't move back and forth.

I poured some gas back in the tank and tested the new pump with a 12-volt power supply to make sure it was working..

You now should be ready to install the tank!

I taped the fill and vent hoses closed so I wouldn't get mud and dirt in them while trying to install the tank....

Push the driverside up first, and run the vent and fill hoses back through the frame.

Push the passehger side up and slide the hanger over the tank...

Now slide the driver side hanger over the tank.

Crank the bolts back down......

Connect the evap line, the fuel line (coming from the regulator), and the wire harness..

Reconnect the fill hose and vent hose..

Slap the hose guard back up, and fill the tank back up from the gas cans..

Put the gas cap back on, reconnect the negative and your all done!!!!!

I really hope this write up helps, and if I missed anything feel free to add to it.....

Last edited by XJ99; 06-14-2005 at 11:53 AM..
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerscj7
while you have the tank out, it's a good idea to clean the inside really good too.

Justa FYI, that rebuild kit on eBay looks like the same kit you can get from Napa for $100. I had one and it died after 3 weeks. ALSO, those socks are not the only filters on the pump. That silver round part on top of the pump assembly where the lines connect is a filter / regulator combination. That part alone is $115 from a dealer and comes up as "fuel filter" on their computers.

Yes good tip on cleaning the tank... I'm not sure what Napa sells, but the parts I bought from Mike were OEM parts.. I put 2,000 miles with in a week after I did the job and it ran flawless... The thing is I called every parts store including Napa and they all said the filter was N/A.....

Not sure why the dealer is showing the regulator as a filter too....

The dealer said the only thing they sold was the regulator itself, or the whole module pump, filters, regulator, and sending unit as one part for $350.00..

Anyway hope this helps.....
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Regen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very good write up, I do experence the stalling that you had, looks like I will have to order a new pump from this guy
99 XJ Sport, NP242, Rusty 3" AAL, Rusty Air Tube & K&N Filter, 31" BFG MTs15x10, Black Unique Rims, XM Satellite Radio, Rocklizard Fab Gila Monster Guards, Rocklizard Fab Rock Monitor Bumper, JKS Discos, Flowmaster 50
Regen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regen
Very good write up, I do experence the stalling that you had, looks like I will have to order a new pump from this guy

Thanks man..... It's nice not having the Jeep cut off anymore, even when I'm close to the 'E' Line..... (Although I try and fill up as soon as the light comes on)...
Unread 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
smac999

how many miles did you have on the old one? alot? now you're making me worried, that filter looks nasty
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
GottaBeJeep

Excellent writeup!

Care if I add that to my website? If so, can you email the pics the the writeup, along with your name and contact (email) info to put on my tech page so you get the credit for the writeup and if anyone has questions they can contact you. I know this article is going to come in handy in a few weeks. I've already messed with dropping the tank a couple of times now. This time, I'm cutting an access hatch in the floor!
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

how long did it take to complete this? my jeep does the shut off thing every now and then when im below 1/4 tank. i want to replace the filter but never wanted to mess with dropping the tank. good writeup!
Unread 02-16-2005, 07:19 AM   #13
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999
how many miles did you have on the old one? alot? now you're making me worried, that filter looks nasty

My Jeep had 76,000 when I replaced it.. It started cutting off on left hand turns with 55,000-60,000 miles on it.... It just started getting worse...
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #14
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug445
how long did it take to complete this? my jeep does the shut off thing every now and then when im below 1/4 tank. i want to replace the filter but never wanted to mess with dropping the tank. good writeup!

The first time I dropped the tank it took about 3 hours.. It was snowing and I took a few breaks.. hehehe The first time I thought I could just go to Autozone, or Napa and pick up the filters.. Since they didn't sell them I tried cleaning the filters out with throttle body cleaner. I also sprayed the regulator with the cleaner as well until it came out clear... I put it back together and still had the stalling problem..

I called every Auto parts store, and 3 different dealerships trying to find the filters.. I ended up buying them through Mike on Ebay.. The 2nd time I dropped the tank it only took about 2 hours from start to clean up.. Once again I took a couple of breaks, and took my time making sure I did it right..
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #15
kcrunchone

about the fuel pump

i have a 1990 cherokee and i do not have any sound deadening material or a carpet in the rear from the seat back. now i have been hearing this sound and i examined closely and found that the sound is residing in the tank .... the fuel pump is sounding off constantly.... now i ask the question if i am supposed to hear it all the time....i have had an 85 so i am not acustomed to the tank in the pump... if this is normal please let me know so i can stop thinking about it...

kcrunch
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.