A Frosty axle swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A Frosty axle swap

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Woke up at 3am and found this with his lights on colouring on the walls and he snuck out of his room grabbed ALL the Ritz crackers and proceeded to eat them all.. leaving a couple on the floor for me to snack on later when he traps me in his room.

Next on the list for relocation was the battery. Sure I could fit my york where the stock air box was but I have plans for a dual battery setup and so I needed to move the battery.

Disconnected the positive and negative

Unbolted the battery hold downs

removed the battery. You bored yet? Keep scrolling

Used a 10mm on something

and a 15mm on the battery bracket nuts.

Pulled the battery tray up and got had to disconnect the Battery temperature sensor.

battery temperature sensor plug

made a quick battery holder to see how heigh it could go:whistling2:

Placed it in

and test fit for the battery.

Had some clearance issues with the power steering reservoir

Figured I would start removal of the old battery cables

Undid the loom and cut away

Installed the 2gauge because I had it laying around from a gig at work. 4gauge would have worked just fine as well

Wear glovesÖ.

Took care of my hand and left it with a wooden battery mount and upgraded cables.

I swore I ripped more cable out than thatÖ It was a windy day so maybe it blew away. OR my sons took it...

ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have to install my ironman4x4fab upper control arms

Also decided to trim and do the cut and fold.

Cut and ground some paint away

Will weld the tabs through and through. Actually this is about as far as I got with this.. Itís still sitting like this and itís rained several times since then and still no rust.. yeah Iím bragging. no rust its in your face.

Parked next to a stocker just to see how high it was compared.

I noticed I had a leaky o ring in my ac line. What better excuse to have the line redone. Has to come apart anyways right?

So I took it down to Petersenís Auto Shop in Henderson and had it hooked up.

They recovered the old stuff

Then vacuumed the lines down so when you take it apart whatever is left in the system doesnít spray all over your engine bay.

Went home and started wont and the York bracket
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

subscribed.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
jeeplesjeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

great build! sexy white jeep!! keep it up!!
jeeplesjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like the build thread being comprehensive and appreciate the third person narrator. I have a tremendous pile of parts on my shelf - suspension, locker, part complete home brew relo brackets etc.I will probably throw together a show and tell thread in a couple months. You have a great deal of progress to show and will be following as well.

Did you consider plumbing the valve cover tube into the cowl system to scavage some fuel vapours as most do or is there a reason you swung it to the side w. a small cone filter? Not criticizing, just a query.
Will you throw in a spacer or taller coils to level your fo-shizzle?

BTW - Nice white XJ - I've got the Northern Rustbelt "White on top, Iron Oxide underneath" two colour combo - it's a limited availability combo not generally found in your area. It's what tipped me over to finally weld in the 2x6 box steel rockers that have been leaning in my garage since last fall. The rocker rot became a rocker recess driver side over the winter.
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Had a clearance and heat-to-bushing issue.

Took the hanger completely off the Jeep and..

Chopped the exhaust, turned the hanger around and added a bolt on turn down.. all that was available in fit was the chrome tip. oh well.

Took the boys to The rather expensive for what it is($15 locals, $18 tourist) Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay for Judes 4th birthday. Ran around back and forth. We were done in under 20minutes but ran back and forth and ended up spending two hours there. Kids had fun and worn out

Ordered up some 300feet per box Wire Conduit in a couple different sizes for $20 bucks with free shipping. About the same price in the auto stores but you only get 10feet for $10.

Wrapped up the engine bay cables

and called it done.. except for against the firewall. I need to order some 1 Ĺ inch conduit or something along those lines.

I really enjoyed not having a center console every since I made this bracket back in December of 2010. However I decided to finally weld on two pieces of threaded rod and put my center console back in. This replaces the plastic piece that holds the back end of the console on. Itís notorious for cracking and breaking apart. If your console moves around in the back the bracket is probably broken.

This literally was my one of my very first welding projectsÖ donít judge me

I also took a hot iron blade to the inside of my center console back when I made that bracket. Needs some touch ups to make it look smooth and Iíll probably do that when it bugs the hell out of me. You can also see the bolts holding the console down.

Iíd like to spread some knowledgeÖ For those that donít know you can PULL/YANK your shifter handle right off. Makes it easier to take your center console out. Afterwards you can just PUSH it back on.

My favorite lady got me some RuffStuffSpecialities Frame Stiffeners for our anniversary. Looking forward to the next gift.

Ruff Stuff did a great job wrapping them up and they look good. I honestly would have done just plate which would have been cheaper but I like the contours of how Ruff Stuff, HD engineering, TnT etc make their stiffeners contour the way the unibody is in stock form. I did a quick fit and it looks like Iíll have to redrill the frame stiffeners for the cross member. Iíll find out soon enough.

So I got the grinder with my pile of flapper wheels, drill with a wire wheel, a scrap piece of steel with sharp edges, a fan to blow the crap away from me, Eye protection and a face mask.

Did I say eye protection and a face mask? Donít forget it. Save your eyes and your lungs. Youíll live longer to enjoy your Jeep.

Before

30 minutes later.. Still have some cleaning to do but it was time for dinner and I was hungry.

Little by little
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Did you consider plumbing the valve cover tube into the cowl system to scavage some fuel vapours as most do or is there a reason you swung it to the side w. a small cone filter? Not criticizing, just a query.
Will you throw in a spacer or taller coils to level your fo-shizzle?
Thanks for the compliments and I will be plumbing the PCV tube into the intake tube. I just havenít gotten around to welding it yet. All in good time because I like being lazy. The cone filter was just put on because it was laying on the shelf. Itís probably filthy and needs to be thrown away.

As much as I like cheap I donít like cheap on suspension parts(depending on components). Iíll get taller Old Man Emu coils once I decide.
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

WARNING do NOT mix brake cleaner and welding
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

To continue where I left off I had mainly finished prepping the passenger side unit body rail for plating with Ruff Stuff Specialties frame stiffeners.

I decide to test fit and see what else needed to be cleaned up for welding and fitment.

Reached for my sharpie but found one of my sons replaced it with a pink pencilÖ so, I used the pink pencil to mark my lines

I was a little disappointed that I had to modify Ruff Stuffís stiffeners to bolt up with the stock cross member bolts. For fit I had to cut a protion of the stiffener out for the front most bolt that isnít used nor tapped from stock. the other two I had to cut the cutout deeper to get the stiffener flush to the frame.

Ruff Stuff Specialties has a lip on their stiffeners. Heres a measurement

hereís another measurement.

On top of modifying there seemed to be a good sized gap all the way down the stiffener. I would have preferred no gap but I wont complain.

Heres my what looks like a cluttered setup and Iíll tell you it was until I just pushed it all to the other side of the Jeep. Make shift shade then clouds came out so I took it down. Orange glove no idea how it got there I did use it and I think it was just curious in watching.

Clamped the front most side up and left the back end hang. Used the jack for upward pressure and c-clamps from side pressure. The cross member bolts helped keep the stiffener there as well.

Side view for those that are curious. Keep in my the silver jack to the left isnít holding anything up itís just there as extra precaution.

First weld on the stiffener with the 110 craftsman welder.

Heres another weld

Hereís the second phase of the setup. Used both jacks to provide upward pressure and more c-clamps to provide side pressure. At this point I was fine to undo the front side it was all held on now by weld.

Everything welded up and ground down. I half assed the back end with filling in and grinding down smooth. Iíll go back to that later. I have something to go pick up and I need to get on the road.

Cleaned up the metal with some brake cleaner. Tossed some rusty metal prime by Rustoleum on

and painted up. If you look at the top seem I did a crappy job filling in with the welder. Iíll go back later and fix that up.

Time to start on the other side. But first

I had a transmission jack to pick up.

Thing is a monster and practically free so I canít nor wont complain

This is what today(April 26,2012 at roughly 1:00pm pacific standard time) looks like and I think Iíll go enjoy it with the wife and kids. Doesnít get cloudy in Vegas often enough.

Also before I go. Some more information for you. This is everything I used minus rags and different jack stands(I only used 2 jack stands) and cleaners and paint.

In no particular order 110 craftman welder, creeper, welder mask, welder gloves, c-clamps, jacks x2, jack stands, blocks of wood(extra height for jack), face mask, eye protection, pliers, 2 Ĺlb mini sledge, dead blow, Ĺ wrench for battery terminals, grinder, grinder wheels, wire brush, ratchet and sockets, blue nitrile gloves, pink pencil, knife to sharpen said pink pencil, drill for wire wheel, extension cord.

And incased you missed it
WARNING do NOT mix brake cleaner and welding
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey .. just saw your build while searching some stuff.. really excellent ... you have not posted in a while ... anything new?
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
Just fyi driveshaft bolts are not 8mm, idk why people insist they are, but they are 5/16

8mm is close but try using 8mm on a stuck one and you'll strip it really quick
With a little bit of oxidation, 8 mm seems to be the best fit. I bought a Mac 6-point ratchet wrench just for these bolts.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey soo ... Do you think if you turned the battery you could fit two where the stock one was?

Tags
brackets , cowl , ford 8.8 , stiffener , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.