A Frosty axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A Frosty axle swap

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A Frosty axle swap - Ford 8.8, Cowl Intake, York OBA, plus more

Index

Page 1 - Ford 8.8 axle swap, Shackle relocation brackets, Custom cowl intake, Misc updates
Page 2 - Battery relocation, Rear fender trim(unfinished), Start of York OBA bracket, Exhaust bandaid fix, Engine compart wire clean up, Center console bracket, Frame stiffeners

Figured I would post this so others may benefit from my experience with this axle swap.

Dressing up as Frosty the Snowman in Vegas gives one time to think of what they want. I decided to swap my stock Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55 gears to a Ford 8.8, Off to the junkyard Frosty went

Frosty found a suitable victim and after attempting to break the shackle bolts free a Harbor Freight breaker bar decided it didn’t want to be abused anymore.

Frosty thought what to do and decided to use his magical powers and have the axle float out from the side.

Wondering where all his friends were on a monday morning got his new Ford 8.8 onto a buggy.

and in to the very Jeep XJ it was going to be put under.

Finally it was home and off with the old perches

Frosty decided to sand off the old paint and make the tubes nice and shiny

It was getting warm out and Frosty was slowly beginning to melt so it was time to shed the disguise.

I got up the next morning and started tearing the back end apart. Seeing as how I am going to be installing some shackle relocation brackets. I had to get rid of the skid plate and bumper tie ins.

Decided to wire wheel the bolts and paint them up later.

Started removing the shocks

and then moved onto the driveshaft and ebrakes

Took the wheels off and unbolts the ubolts

dolley’d the 8.25 away

and prepped for shackle removal

Got ready for tomorrow to toss in the shackle relocation brackets and snapped some photos of the location

more to come

Last edited by ahuf; 04-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Informational
ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

nice work! can i have ut 8.25? i got a quarter....
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh my god. Is that seriously what the underbody of a vehicle outside of the rust belt looks like?! It looks brand new!!
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaolin
Oh my god. Is that seriously what the underbody of a vehicle outside of the rust belt looks like?! It looks brand new!!
What he said.
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaolin View Post
I had a read XJ that I undercoated with the rustoleum rubberized undercoat. I learned my lesson and when I got my 2000 white xj seen here. I decided to clean the underside and prep and then rustoleum white auto enamel. I picked white because it reflects a simple flash light and illuminates the under carriage.

but yes that is what the underside of an XJ out of the rust belt looks like.
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just fyi driveshaft bolts are not 8mm, idk why people insist they are, but they are 5/16

8mm is close but try using 8mm on a stuck one and you'll strip it really quick

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The new day has begun and it was time to unwrap the axle from the make shift plastic tarp(new mattress packaging) to keep out Mondayís rain.

Decided to take out the axle shafts and started on the 5/16 bolt that likes to break a lot. Be careful and go slow on the bolt.

Axles shafts looked good however I noticed that new seals were in my future.

After the axle fun it was time to start on getting my HD Engineering shackle relocation brackets installed

It was a tight fit and I used the trusty dead blow to send it to the market.

A close up because I know you really wanted to see the dead blow smudge marks.

Realizing I am missing a total of two bolts, I broke out the grade 8 bolt box and began searching.

I didnít find a single bolt that fitÖ.. that to-do-list is getting longer.

You might be asking yourself, ďWheres the shackle? I thought this was an axle swap thread!"

Iíll say, ďHey! Frosty is working on it."

Thatís how the Jeep sits, a little to high for my liking.

I then decided to take out the old man emu add-a-leaf(AAL)

It sat better but was still to high. Wondering what next.

So, I rechecked my shackle angle and moved the shackle.

Itís just about where I wanted it.

And the Ford 8.8 sits under the XJ nicely.

My only complaint about the HD offroad engineering shackle relocation kit is simple: the shackle bolt is not long enough. It doesnít even thread all the way onto the nylon lock nut. Another part Iíll have to add to the list. Granted, I added a washer it should still have enough length to go all the way through.

More to come
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am not sure which relocation kit I like better. The HD Engineering or the Rough Country one. The RC one seems simpler to install as yu don't have to deal with the nut strip in the unibodyfor bolting it in.

***On a side note.. god damn that is a clean underbody!!!!!
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuf View Post

but yes that is what the underside of an XJ out of the rust belt looks like.
I swear that they came off the dealership driveway with rust underneath up here in Pittsburgh.
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

DANGGG that thing is clean.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have been working every day since the last post of this thread. So wrenching time was a little hard to come by. Iíve finally got some days off and Iím looking to complete this swap and start on my next project.

Hereís a couple pictures of what I managed to take before I took my break to post this update of sorts.

Rubicon Express RE2700 Shackle Jeep XJ Rear 5Ē and the next project.

Heres a comparison of stock shackles and the RE2700 shackles

and another.. Forgot the ruler.. OOps

For more information because the internet is littered with it. The XJís tailpipe will more than likely interfere with the shackles.

Iíll just let it rub until it annoys me to the point I build my bumpers

Thatís all the photos I have currently. The RE2700 shackles are in and Iím looking to redo the hard brake lines with new line. Iím also waiting on my order from RuffStuffSpecialities. All in all itís taken me about 15 minutes to take old shackles off and replace with new.

Time to go finish bolting everything down and get YOU! some more pics.
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update

So I left off without showing the shackle angle so here it is. I need to move it back one notch and should be good to go. Iíve been driving the XJ like this since whenever the last post was.

Ruff Stuff specialties shock brackets came in and I welded them up. Hereís a picture of welds. Craftsman Mig 110V

measured and found the angles i wanted and welded the brackets in.

Put the axle back under the Jeep and began to bleed the brakes

Had a remanufactured caliper leaky right from the get go. Had it replaced under warranty the next day.

This is how it sits now.
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Decided it was time to make way for the OBA and gathered everything up for a cowl intake. Iíve got Airaid cone filter, some exhaust pipe, Spectre flex tube, Black ABS

Tools I used Gloves, Pliers, phillips and standard screw drivers, sand paper, shop rag, drill, 3 ľ hole saw, knife, safety glasses, spray paint, wd40, socket and my strand of hose clamps.

Decided to mock everything up into place and started with the stock air filter flex tube. Turned it towards the firewall.

Attached the exhaust pipe(can get from Autozone, Napa, Oíreaillys, Pepboys they all carry the same one here in Vegas)

Closed the hood and started to pop off the wiper blades. Heres a step by step for those that donít know how.

Put your flathead or use your finger nails and place in slot.

pull up on tab

Remove flat head

pull wiper blade straight out.

Congratulations

Put some rags/towel down if you care about your paint.

pry up

move to the other side and pry up again

flip over

I had already cut a hole in here when I first got the Cherokee. So, If you are at this step then youíll need to find something to cut with. I used a 4inch cutting wheel on an angle grinder. COVER YOUR WINDSHIELD WITH SOMETHING. Otherwise youíll have little speckles all over it and will ruin your wiper blade.

I opened my hood back up and cut TWO holes. One so I can put the tube through and a second so I could take a quick look at the filter. I sanded the edges down with some sand paper I had laying around. If you donít want to use a peeping hole then cut the hole where my hand is with the sand paper.

Had an old postal tube end hanging around also and used it to temporarily plug the hole till my metal one came in the mail.

Mocked everything up for a test fit and was pleased with the results

added the filter and tightened up the hose clamps

Since I had the hole for the filter cut when I got the Jeep I found out that rain water got into the cowl. I added some AC ducting to help keep the cowl dry. So far itís worked. Iíll go back later and make an actual lid with gasket to make it water tight above the filter.

Buttoned everything up clamped the hose clamps down and took it for a trip down to get some lottery tickets.

Noise(first impression)
1. First start up there was a sucking sound.
2. As it warmed up that sucking sound went completely away. My ears nor my wifes ears could hear it.
3. Driving around I loved the sound in the cab.
4. No whistle

Noise(Impressions after 1000 miles)
1. Still love it and will definitely do this mod again in the future.
2. There exhaust pipe likes to rattle at stops but itís rare. I still have to add something to cushion it between the engine.
3. I can touch the intake tubing/exhaust pipe after a long drive. Unlike previously stock setup my hand would start to burn if I touched the stock black flex hose. It does seem to be cooler.
4. Canít comment on mileage as I havenít been keeping track.
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice intake! I need to do something similar after hydrolocking mine!

Lift the front more!
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaolin View Post
Nice intake! I need to do something similar after hydrolocking mine!

Lift the front more!
I with probably lift the front 1" to 1Ĺ” and move the rear shackle forward which would lower it. I’m currently at 3” lift upfront and 6” in the rear. I’m wanting roughly 4.5” to 5” of lift.

Tags
brackets , cowl , ford 8.8 , stiffener , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.