front windshield wipers not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > front windshield wipers not working

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

front windshield wipers not working

just stopped working. worked last night, got in today and now they dont work. checked all fuses and all good. checked wiring at wiper motor and it was still attached. are there any other fuses i can look at or relays? the rear wiper and washer still work. the washer does not work for the front, which leads me to believe that it is a wiring problem. any ideas on what it could be? i have to drive 3 hrs tomorrow so i need to get it fixed asap.
thanks in advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

possibly a multi function switch failure
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I believe there is a relay, in the pdc beside the battery.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

there is no relay labelled wiper switch or anything in the pdc. is the multi function switch the wiper switch?

Quote:
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is circuit breaker in space #30 in the junction block. This is in the FSM for my 00, your 94 may be the same. If you have an VOM you can check the breaker. If it is good, then you can check for voltage on the pins of space #30. If none there is a good chance your wiper switch is bad. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

well. i dont have a multimeter as of right now, (3 hrs away). idk if this helps but, i have a wierd cruise control integrated with the wiper switch. so my brights work, blinkers work, cruise control works. the only thing that doesnt is the wipers. could the switch fail with the wipers and still work with everything else? i checked the intermittent thing and the connects are good, (the one that is under the dash. i will check to see if i have anything in the pdc has anything to do with the wipers. i dont have a junction block, i think that they changed it in 97'
any ideas on anything else?

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Parky

The intermittent module under the dash is usually the culprit. There is usually a short in the circuit board (you may not be able to see it) which then causes the circuit breaker to blow. I went to the dealer to get a replacement and it was back ordered indefinitely and have not found them anywhere else. I thing the supplier quit making them.

So to get around the circuit breaker always blowing I just got a wire and jumped the circuit where the breaker was. The intermittent settings don't work, but at least I can turn on the wipers.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

well i thought that it could've been the intermittent thing, but i unplugged both sides and bypassed the whole thing, and the wipers still don't work.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

just went out right now. the 7.5A fuse is good. nothing i could find in the pdc in the engine compartment by the battery. i have no voltmeter or test light.
so i assume that it is either the wiper switch it self or the wiper motor? but since its also the wiper washer motor that isnt working, i assume that it must be the switch. ugh this is sooo aggrivating. now it is starting to snow realllly bad. if i put the wiper in the high/fast position and pull the fuses in and out, should it spark or anything?

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Parky

Try jumping the circuit breaker and see if that works.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

so i went outside to try to figure it out and stuff and accidentally hit this:

it fell off the bottom of the fuse block. is this the "breaker" that every one is talking about?
when i hit it, the wipers started working

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think the answer is YES. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

hahaha..... ok.

thanks a lot fellas.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
sickness
1994 XJ Cherokee 

bump

alright i just had a similar issue crop up. i checked all the fuses they are all n good shape. how ever the fuse in the slot for the wipes does not read and the radio stopped working too at the same time. i was using the wipers and radio just an hour prior to them noti had to drive home in the dumping down rain. Thank god for rain-x any way i am pretty sure it is a wiring issue. (what would cause the power to not go to the fuse like that out of the blue.?) Please help me winter is comin.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Rubicon304
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Has anybody found a place to buy the circuit board? I just broke mine as I was pulling out the buzzer thing. I have been to every auto parts store in town and they don't have/can't get it. I went to the dealer and they can't get it either! I tried the junk yard too but they only had a handful of XJ's and the only one that had one was rusted and broke as I tried to pull it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.