Front wheel bearing symptoms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front wheel bearing symptoms?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Front wheel bearing symptoms?

Just picked a 97 4dr with 153k miles on it. I can hear a faint scraping noise from the front left wheel. It seems to speed up or slow down with the speed of the wheel. I'm assuming that this is a wheel bearing/hub issue. How big of a deal is this to replace? Additionally, I have a oil pressure gauge that reads zero constantly although I seem to be getting actual pressure as the motor runs smooth. Sensor? Sending unit? The last problem that I've found is that the blinker refuses to cut off after the wheel is straightened back out. Not a hug deal but it's slightly annoying. Any thoughts would be great.

Unread 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
mountainpoo
1994 XJ Cherokee 

if you can get the jeep on jack stands, then hold the tire at 12 and 6 o clock and if there is any play the wheel bearing is most likely bad.(assuming the tire is on tight).

i would change the oil pressure sending unit and if that doesnt work i would the its the guage itself?
cragar soft 8's 4" BS
31x10.5 R15 cooper discoverer stt's
homemade snorkel
mountainpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

well with the blinker its jsut a little catch and its inside the steerin column, i've yet to dig into that yet though. but the wheel bearring is vairly simple i jsut replaced mine. ya put in up on jacks tae the tire off, remove the brake caliper with what should be 2 torque nuts in back, after that it is 3 bolts on the side twords the engine there are 3 bolts to losten and it should come i believe if i remember right, also its a good time to see if ya need new u joints sinse its already off.
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
theglowingbus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

well Ive done the hubs a few times in the past month now. First your going to want to pb blast the hub bolts, and once you get those out, the hub will probably not come out, so the way i did it since i was already replacing hubs and didn't care for them, was to bang on them with a 3 or 5lb sledge. This will eventually get the hubs out, just takes a few good blows. If that doesn't work try a pickle fork, but it will defiantly mess up the backing plate. Also I know there's a way to take of the hub using a 13mm deep socket, but i haven't tried yet. Just search that option. So pretty much it will take you probably an hour or two, depending on how much stuff is rusted in there, Its not that bad though.
Good Luck and have fun
Alex
theglowingbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Now I guess my next question would be if I do one side should I do the other side?
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have 188K miles on my 91 XJ axle and the wheel bearings have not needed replacing yet. I'm going to change the whole front axle so I guess I'll never replace those D30 unit bearings.
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
jmitywhitey
1988 MJ Comanche 

check the brakes first may be the wear indicator .oil pressure i vote on the sensor .
jmitywhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
theglowingbus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yea, well only one of mine were messed up, but i ended up replacing both, and now it rides a whole lot smoother.
theglowingbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
robhollar
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Raise the jeep up and place on jack stands. Place one hand on your coil spring and spin the wheel with you free hand. You should be able to feel in the spring if you have a bad wheel hub.
robhollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhollar View Post
Raise the jeep up and place on jack stands. Place one hand on your coil spring and spin the wheel with you free hand. You should be able to feel in the spring if you have a bad wheel hub.
This is how I was told to look for a front wheel bearing issue...

My mechanic said that they put it on a lift all 4 wheels off of the ground. Put it in 4WD High and when up on the lift, start it and have a friend put it in gear. Under very slight acceleration (a friend doing this obviously) you do the spring test. The one with the vibration is the bad one. Too bad that they are not serviceable units... but they are still easily fixed.

Also, sounds like it could be a bad caliper? Pistons not releasing properly?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
nexus42i
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just did the hub on my left front last week. Job was pretty easy, PB blasted the bolts and used a big breaker bar to get them out and then used a BFH to pound on the hub to free it up.

Also did the u-joint at the same time, plan on doing the u-joint on the passenger side tomorrow, and will probably replace the hub too while I'm at it.

The Jeep rides smoother than I could have ever imagined with the new hub/bearing. It's been worn out since I bought it 20K miles ago.
nexus42i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
grimah1w
1990 XJ Cherokee 

nexus42i,
so you replaced the hub/bearing carrier as a unit...both sides? replaced with tappered bearings included I assume? What was the cost for each side? Anything else to order to get it done?
Thanks!!!
grimah1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can't replace the bearing itself, you have to replace the entire hub. They are non-seviceable units. Be sure to get the good ones or they won't last long.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
BunnyHunterOG
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
Now I guess my next question would be if I do one side should I do the other side?

You should make sure its not just the dust shield scraping the rotor before you go replacing hubs.
BunnyHunterOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
a5tach
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, I lowered my front end when I did my lift an now my dust shield rubs really bad. I wedged something in between the rotor and the shield...hopefully it moves back out as it is just sitting there...bunnyhunter is right, check that first, especially if its been lifted or worked on by the PO
a5tach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.