Front Tires Squeeking/Squealing when braking and when going low speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front Tires Squeeking/Squealing when braking and when going low speeds

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Front Tires Squeeking/Squealing when braking and when going low speeds

The other day I noticed that my front wheels were squeeking when braking. I had gone through a muddy area 2 days before so I assumed that it was dried mud or something since I hadn't gotten a car wash.

I hosed down the wheels and under the car to try to get rid of any mud that might be in the brakes. It worked for a little, but the sound soon came back. Now it's making the noise when I'm in a low gear, like 1st or 2nd; then stops when I start to go faster.

I have a manual 1998 Cherokee Sport

ScrnE011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
1974Renegade
1974 CJ5 

Here is some thoughts:

A high pitch squeal from the brakes is not a cause for panic. You can get anti squeak lubricate for disk breaks that helps sometimes, but generally not a necessity.

If its more of a chirp than a squeal you may be into the wear indicators on your break pads and they need to be replaced.

If the sound happens when not breaking and at low speeds it could be a wheel bearing (they usually grind, but I have had them squeek) Its not that is only happens at low speeds, its just that you can only hear it at low speeds. You can usually tell which wheel bearing the culprit is if you get in a empty parking lot: roll down the window so you can hear better, then at a very low speed turn the jeep really hard one direction, then the other. If for instance you turn right really hard and the sound is louder it is probably the left side. (the left side gets the load on a hard right turn.) Note: Dont turn the vehicle so hard that you risk turning it over or anything, just a good swing of the wheel is sufficent.

If you breaks were hot when you went through the mud, you may have warped a rotor a little and its touching the caliper just a little sooner than normal on one side causing a squeak before you clamp down on them. You will usually feel a vibration in the pedal when you first touch the brakes if this is the case.

Maybe this helps some. If none of the above sounds like your culprit, repost with more info.
1974Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so it seems to be getting worse. It happens whenever I drive, not just sometimes anymore. I can hear it when I'm going up to 45mph as well.

I tried what you suggested and went into an empty parking lot. Turning left, I didn't hear anything, but turning right I definitely could hear the squeaking louder. So that means that it might be the left wheel bearing? Should I try and replace it myself or bring it to a mechanic?

And it's not a chirping noise, its a high pitch squeal or squeaking.
Unread 07-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went to AutoZone today to see about getting a new wheel bearing. The employee who I talked to said that the factory didn't make individual bearings and that I would have to get some the whole assembly. It costs $100 - $140 depending on the warranty I want.

So at this point before I go spending my hundred I want to make sure that nothing else is going to fix the issue? Should I put some WD40 or grease on the bearings to fix the noise?
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Before you just put the Jeep on jack-stands and start flinging money at it, you should determine the actaul source/cause of your nosies. Disassemble and clean your front brakes. Inspect them for damage or unusual wear. Inspect your u-joints for wear or damage. Inspect your unit hub. The XJ Dana 30 front axle has a unitized hub and bearing assembly, commonly called a unit hub. The actual bearings are not greaseable or replaceable, the unit hub assembly is replaced when worn out or damaged. Only purchase and install Timken brand unit hubs. Cheap unit hubs from AutoZone and Advanced are known to fail withing 12-18 months and thus requiring you to replace them again.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What do I use to clean my front breaks? Just a wet rag?
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrnE011 View Post
What do I use to clean my front breaks? Just a wet rag?
Water and a scrub brush for dirt and mud. A can of brake cleaner spray for any oil, grease or brake fluid. Wear safety glasses, brake cleaner burns and burns, if you get it in your eyes.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I took off both my wheels and sprayed/whipped them down. Then I used brake cleaner to make sure nothing was left to make the brakes squeak. After putting the wheels back on, I took a drive and THE SQUEAK IS STILL THERE ((((((.

So, I'm lost now. Should I replace the rotors? Replace the brake pads? It's going to drive me crazy hearing this noise whenever I drive.

Just a little more detail, the squeaking occurs only when I'm driving but is most pro-dominant when braking. The squeaking sounds like a squeaky see-saw.
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
98_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Only purchase and install Timken brand unit hubs. Cheap unit hubs from AutoZone and Advanced are known to fail withing 12-18 months and thus requiring you to replace them again.
Autozone sells the Timken assembly for 121.99 and the Valucraft assembly for 70.99.

When your wheels were off did you try and check the pads to see if they are worn down? Another way to test for a bad wheel bearing is to have the wheel off the ground before you dismount it and push on the top of the tire. If the top of the wheel/tire moves in and the bottom of the wheel/tire moves out then it may be a bad bearing.

1998 Jeep XJ Limited 4x4
- Rough Country Series II 3" Lift
- 31-10.50-15 Duratracs on Black Rocks
- JCR Offroad Stage 3 Front Bumper

2010 Chevy Equinox
98_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did the brake pads appear to be thin, unevenly worn, or have stones stuck in it ? Did the rotors appear to be thin, have unusual coloring, or have excessive grooves and ridges ?

Did you spin the axle shafts and look, listen, and feel for strange behavior from the unit hub or u-joints ? Did you check the level of gear oil in the front differential ?

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
ScrnE011
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The rotors seemed to be ok. Some slight worn on them, but what I assume to be usual wear. The left rotor actually looked better then the right one did, but I'm 95% sure the noise is coming from the left side.

I checked the break pads to. Neither of them seemed worn out (I was checking their width) but I didn't check to see if anything was stuck underneath. I tried to recreate the noise by spinning the wheel while I had my Jeep jacked up, but couldn't recreate it.

Someone told me to take off the brake pads and sand them down a little, I think I'll try that next.
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same thing happening to my jeep. However the top of my rotor on the driver side is worn with grooves on the top 2 inches. The wear is only on the inside on the piston side of the caliper. I replaced the break line and caliper. I have not replaced the rotors and pads again because I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Did you ever solve the issue.
deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After a couple of months I finally found the problem. The brake dust cover was touching just slightly and not all the time. I am not sure why it wasnt touching all the time but I bent it out some and have never had the issue again.
deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.