Front leaf spring bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front leaf spring bolt

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
XJMOD86

Front leaf spring bolt

Ok so I cut the front bolt out of my 96 xj leaf spring but as I was going to pull the nub inside the nut I pushed it in and can't get an easy or a drill bit close enough to drill it any suggestions

XJMOD86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

YOu need to cut a hole into the spring support bracket (which is welded to the "frame") to gain access to the now loose welded nut. You then remove the nut and the stub of the old bolt.

You can either weld in a new nut through your access hole or use a conventional nut. After everything is assembled, you need to close up the access hole you cut.

The neat way is to cut the hole from the top, through the floorpan. The replacement cover is attached with sheet metal screws and some sealant.

If you go from below, you must weld up the access hole you cut, so as to keep road grime out of the hole, where it would promote serious rust.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Before you hit up the other side... pro tip. Heat those bolts up hot to get them out of the frame with less drama. They are loctited in, and lots of people end up cutting them when there is no need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.