front hitch, bumper, what do you think????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > front hitch, bumper, what do you think?????????

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
brand0nlp
1996 XJ Cherokee 

front hitch, bumper, what do you think?????????

just installed my front hitch on the XJ, going to be welded this weekend with some custom brackets to strengthen it. i plan on using, a hitch mounted winch so i can use it front or back.

what do you think is a better idea a front hitch or full bumper with winch mount and why?

Last edited by brand0nlp; 04-28-2009 at 11:02 PM..
brand0nlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

im confused by your question but I'll comment. The hitch mounted winch combo is versatile, but it can be a pain having to set up, etc. It also makes your approach angle horrible.

BUT...a lot of people like to use it because of the ability to switch so its a personal thang

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
brand0nlp
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i guess im looking at its strength wise will the front hitch be strong enough if i weld it to the unibody? or is a bumper a better option. i already installed the front hitch but im trying to leave a few options open for sometime in the next few months i dont want to waste my money on a bumper if the hitch with winch mount will workk.

and whats do you mean the approach angle in still new to the jeep world
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not because im lazy...but check out Eric Zappe's site http://www.ericsxj.com/winch/winchbumper.htm

he had a hitch mounted and switched to the bumper and he goes over some of the strengths and weaknesses as well as covers approach angle and stuff

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
brand0nlp
1996 XJ Cherokee 

some good info, i guess for what i do my front hitch will be more than enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.