Front end Whine/howl. Diff? wheel Bearing? U joint? What could it be? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front end Whine/howl. Diff? wheel Bearing? U joint? What could it be?

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Xride

Front end Whine/howl. Diff? wheel Bearing? U joint? What could it be?

Ok, I have a whine/howl coming from the drivers front of my jeep.

its a constant sound when driving straight, kind of a low howl and kinda quiet, almost mixes with the tire noise.

when accelorating, there is no sound. but there is holding speed, and when coming to a quicker stop kinda.

when turning right, without power, it is very loud, like over power people talking inside loud. but if I use the gas even a little bit turning right then there is no sound.

turning left is quiet.

I have no idea what it is, it is for sure coming from the front driver side.
I had some work done to fix it, but it did not fix it, they claim to have changed the u joint, and the wheel bearing hub assembly, although I am confident they didnt replace these parts.

So what could be causing this? I almost want to say its the diff, but they are factory gears and it has never been opened, the diff fluid looks good and no chunks come out when a rod with a magnet is poked around in there.

I need to get this fixed asap. I am putting 2k km on my jeep this summer going through the rockies, and dont want any problems. not to mention when turning right I feel like cranking it hard and rolling her over just to make the sound stop.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Unread 06-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Start by looking at your left front wheel bearing assy, and the brake rotor/caliper.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
x99j

i had similiar symptoms as yours. i finally narrowed it to a bad wheel bearing by taking the wheel off then taking the caliper and rotor off and spinning the hub. i could then feel the bearing going and causing my howl. instead of turning smooth it was very ruff turning. if you need a new hub bearing remember that 99 has two styles of hubs. one for cast rotors one for composite rotors. mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Xride

I figured it had to be the wheel bearing/hub (its one peice isnt it?) and not the diff, just need to make sure.

The stupid dealer is swearing up and down the work was done, when I have 2 shops now that have said there is no way the part was repaced with a new one.

Well any more suggestions of what it could be befor i go down and crack some skulls?
Unread 06-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
anony91xj

Definitely sounds like a wheel bearing, although there is somewhat of a chance it could be a diff bearing. Usually it's a wheel/hub bearing though.

If the dealer didn't change it, go back and tell them the noise isn't fixed. Make them re-do it.
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
smac999

I have a bad noise too when turning right. only when coasting. not while on the gas.

the dealership has changed both front wheel bearings and the back right. (2 different trips)

and it's still there

I guess it might be the back left one doing it.... *******es. I've given up for the time being.

I'm not really sure why a bearing noise would change with on / off thottle though???

I keep thinking it might be the LSD, or a u joint.

but it's been there for over a year and hasn't goten any worse...
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99j
i had similiar symptoms as yours. i finally narrowed it to a bad wheel bearing by taking the wheel off then taking the caliper and rotor off and spinning the hub. i could then feel the bearing going and causing my howl. instead of turning smooth it was very ruff turning. if you need a new hub bearing remember that 99 has two styles of hubs. one for cast rotors one for composite rotors. mike
how do you figure out if you have cast rotors or composite rotors?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
x99j

call the dealer with the vin they will be able to tell you. also i don't no the measurements, but the rotors are about 1/4 inch different in height.

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
Xj'sR'Creamy

I cannot tell without actually hearing it first hand, but also keep your powersteering pump in mind, it will make those sounds when the beraing inside is going bye bye.

Sean

-Sean J Godfrey
Xj'sR'Creamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
anony91xj

Only when coasting could be gear lash or a diff problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.