Front end binding. Steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front end binding. Steering?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Front end binding. Steering?

Hello
I am having some binding in the front end. Happens when turning even slightly. Feels tighter and the steering wheel actually jerks back and forth a bit. This is happening in 2 WD?
I've read it can be axle u joints, and they are original but I wanna make sure it's not something to do with the steering set up, box, pump etc.
I jacked it up and turned it lock to lock and felt no binding while off the ground. I also grabbed and pulled on everything and it seems tight.
Could it be the tires? It has been happening for a couple months, and the tires are about 2 yrs old (maybe 10000 miles on) thanks

I

1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Replace the axle u-joints, if that fixes the problem..........

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing that's not the easiest job in the world, I was wondering if u joints would in fact cause a problem like this. I guess that's why I was asking if it could be steering related?
Can anyone confirm that bad U joints cause these problems? Not just yah I had a buddy that had a buddy etc. that had these problems.
I am sure they do need to be replaced, but the ones on my TJ have 167xxx on them and I don't have any problems like on this XJ. With multiple vehicles I am in a habit of fixing what needs to be fixed not what should be fixed.
Thanks
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmckinley View Post
... the steering wheel actually jerks back and forth a bit. This is happening in 2 WD?
Commonly caused by failing u-joints. U-joints are a routine maintenance item, just like tires or mufflers. They are replaced when they are worn out, damaged, or no longer function correctly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Follow up to this problem....

Surprisingly this problem just went away, not sure what the issue was but I added some stop leak to the power steering and the driver of the XJ, ( it's not my DD) reported that it went away.
It has yet to return. It's been a couple months now too.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
firemedic1434
2005 KJ Liberty 

I had this happen to my 99 Cherokee Classic twice. Each time was a bad u-joint. It would hang up when the U-joint began to come apart. The fact that it resolved without intervention would have me concerned. Damage to the hub assembly can occur if not corrected. I know from experience.

P-B Blaster on the three bolts from behind the wheel hub assembly, remove the brakes, caliper, and rotor, remove center bolt, and when the bolts are free, tap the threaded stud with a maul to loosen the hub from the axle, use a 3" extension and place it behind the hub assembly on the outboard side of the U-joint and anchor the other end against solid structure, and turn the wheel, hub assembly will push loose. Then pull the whole axle free and work on the U-joint.
firemedic1434 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.