front driveline vibrations.. time to fix it. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > front driveline vibrations.. time to fix it.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

front driveline vibrations.. time to fix it.

my 98 xj has had some front end vibrations for quite some time now and it is time i fix this issue. i know the vibes are in the front end because they go away when the front shaft is out. When the shaft is in the vibes go away when i have it in 4wd and am on the gas. as soon as i let up on the gas they return. all the vibrations seem to happen at highway speeds. the jeep has a 6.5in lift on it. i know i cant expect perfect out of a Cherokee with 6.5in lift but i know it can be better than it is. my drive shaft angle is 10.5 deg down and my pinion angle is 7deg up. does this sound correct for the pinion angle? when i set it a while back i did some research on here and thought i had it figured out. the drive shaft is re built, as is the t case and the front axle was re geared and re built less than 2 years ago so i dont think the problem is there. any suggestions help. here is a couple pics of the drive shaft/pinion angle. (i just put it back in for the pic that's why there is no bolts holding it in) thanks.
Dayn

jeep-cherokee-ds.jpg

jeep-ds-2.jpg

Unread 03-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody have any input on weather or not my pinion angle looks correct. Or any other issues you can come up with? Thanks.
Dayn.
Unread 03-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

3 degrees seems a bit too much...
I don't think that the front axle is subject to "axle wrap" (someone correct me if I'm wrong please (conclusion OR proper term usage)), so you'd want the pinion to be at the same angle as the shaft.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I will try adjusting it back a bit so it's closer to lining up with the driveshaft. The weird thing is that the vibration goes away when in 4wd and on the gas. I was thinking maybe there was a little axle wrap and maybe when on the gas it twists just enough to get the shaft lined up..
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
Ok I will try adjusting it back a bit so it's closer to lining up with the driveshaft. The weird thing is that the vibration goes away when in 4wd and on the gas. I was thinking maybe there was a little axle wrap and maybe when on the gas it twists just enough to get the shaft lined up..
What does the double cardan joint look like? How about the slip splines in the shaft?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The double cordon seems fine. It's nice and tight and was re built about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. The slip section seems fine and tight. Everything is greased up good too. I will look at it again and double check everything is right.
Unread 03-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You say the Dbl Cardan joint is tight, but does it move smoothly?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yup it moves nice and smoothly including the centering ball. Well I think it's my pinion angle. I thought I had it set it right a while back. When I initially set it I had to adjust it some to get ok caster because my steering was loose. Well I think I was adjusting it too much each time, instead of a little at a time. I just got back from a test drive after adjusting it up a little and it seemed better. I'm going to adjust it again and see if I can find a better balance between acceptable caster and pinion angle. Thank you all for the suggestion.
Dayn.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I remember why I had it adjusted the way I did. I actually had a thread on in a few years ago... When it's adjusted so that the pinion angle is ideal my drag link contacts my steering stabilizer. The vibrations are better but the steering is messed up. I may try adjusting them vac to where they were and see if a t case drop will help. ( something I've been trying to avoid..)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.