Front door latches on rear doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front door latches on rear doors?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
AdamZJL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Front door latches on rear doors?

I have 2 Cherokees at the moment, a 93, and a 98. Neither of them the back doors will open, door latches on the rear doors are seized on them both.
I'm just wondering if the front door latches from the 93 will work on the rear doors of my 98, just for the sake of saving me buying some.

Unread 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

You would probably have to drill new holes on the body to make them fit correctly. For one, the front and rear hinges work in completely different ways and are styled differently on both jeeps. Not only that but the difference between pre97 and 97+ hinges are greatly varied. They don't look or work the same at all. It could probably be done but with the time wasted on trying would not be worth it.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rear latches are not the same as front. They won't work. Remove your existing latches and soak them in some pentrating oil, and then exercise them outside the vehicle until they work smoothly.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
AdamZJL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, on every jeep i've owned i've had at least one of the rear door latches seized and i have yet to remove one without destroying it unless i'm going about it wrong.
I'll just get a couple junk yard ones, should be fine as long as i keep using the rear doors, any tips to removing them without having to break them? The one i did before i had to drill through from the inside and break the latching mechanism to get it open.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.