Front differential lose and makes noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front differential lose and makes noise

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
amatotime
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Front differential lose and makes noise

i have a 1999 jeep cherokee and the front differential makes a grinding type of sound and it leaks oil. Also im not sure what its called but the large nut that seats the yoke which the yoke sits on it moves back and fourth and i can wobble it. I really need help to find out how to correct this!!!! Any advice please let me know!! Thanks!

amatotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Rmart30

Sounds like it needs pinion bearings and seals at the least......... pull the cover and drain the oil and see how much water or metal shavings it has in it.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you need to rebuild, it may be cheaper to bolt on a good used axle instead. Expect to pay $5-800 for a differential rebuild. You can install an axle in your driveway with simple hand tools. Rebuilding the differential internals requires some specialized tools and specific technical knowledge.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Desertwheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds F'd up for sure. Certainly a diff rebuild needs to be accomplished.
2001 Cherokee Sport, 4.5 RC Longarm, 33 Duratrac's, SYE, 4:56's, Front HP30 w/Lockrite, Autopals- Sold
Desertwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
rshrimp

If you can move the yoke with your hand the ring and pinion are destroyed for sure. I agree, I would be looking for a good used front end. WAY CHEAPER than fixing this one and WAY easier to install.

Tags
diff leak , differential , differential fluid

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.