Front Bumper Phase II Complete - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Front Bumper Phase II Complete

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front Bumper Phase II Complete

I welded on the outside portions of my bumper today. This bumper is my 2nd project since learning to arc weld with an old Sears Craftsman 220V buzz box. Mostly 1/4" plate I used 7018 rods for most of the welding and burned it plenty hot and also did root and cap passes. I ran a bead with a 6011 rod along the entire inside as well also hot to make sure I had good penetration and a very strong union between the subframe and the wings. My welds still look pretty ugly, I am certainly aware of that!

About 6 weeks ago a friend and I built the subframe to hold a winch and tie into the unibody.

I made the outside 'wings' about 10 days ago and they've been drying/hardening in my cold garage and waiting patiently to be burned into the subframe.

Today I welded them in, and painted them up.

I kept the middle portion of the bumper skin as a place holder until I start the next phase of my front bumper

Phase III - mount and wire up the winch, box in the right side of the subframe and make it into a D-ring storage bin, finish the middle using design cues from the OEM bumper.

Progress is slow as work is busy, family is busy, jeeps are never really done.

front-side-shot.jpg   front-shot.jpg   front-underside-shot.jpg   side-profile.jpg  
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
MCObray

This is awesome. Hides the wench and the side corner protection is sweet! l love how it looks factory still. Great job

Tags
bumper , front , homemade , weld

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.